How to move Documents/Movies/Etc using symlink

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by docderwood, Aug 24, 2010.

1. docderwood macrumors member

Took me a while to figure this out, it appears to be working thus far. Here is my scenario:

2010 MBP with 500GB Hard drive mounted in Optibay, 240GB OWC SSD in hard drive bay.

Wanted to move Documents/Movies/Music/Downloads to the spinning disc 500GB while maintaining ALL other Home files on the SSD for speed.

What I did:

1) Backed up all the stuff I wanted to move
    2) Deleted the Home folders using terminal on the SSD:

sudo rm -r /Users/"YourUserNameHere"/Music
    sudo rm -r /Users/"YourUserNameHere"/Movies
    sudo rm -r /Users/"YourUserNameHere"/Documents
    sudo rm -r /Users/"YourUserNameHere"/Downloads

3) On the 500GB Spinning Disc, created folders named:
    Music
    Movies
    Documents
    Downloads

4) Using Symbolic linker program (Free, thanks to the creator): http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/

Created Symbolic Links to all of the above on the spinning disk

5) Copied these symbolic links to my home folder on the SSD, renamed them to
    Music
    Movies
    Documents
    Downloads

Word, Itunes, Iphoto etc now "Look" in my home folder on the SSD but Link "Save/Modify" to the spinning disc

Like I said, this seems to work, but I'm not an expert.

2. jsilas macrumors regular

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'm trying to do the same thing on my MBP, and I'm curious how the above has been working for you.

I, too, have an SSD and a platter drive in OptiBay, and I moved the whole Home folder to the platter drive. Unfortunately, this makes me reliant on the platter drive to an extent that I'm losing the benefits of the SSD in many cases.

I'd like to redo my setup, and am curious how your experience has been. Also, any users reading this who have set up Symlinks to a secondary drive, how'd you do it and what has been your experience?

Thanks!

3. docderwood thread starter macrumors member

Thus far, it's worked flawlessly!

4. jsilas macrumors regular

Awesome - thanks for the quick response!

So with this setup, when you're using your machine to just browse the web or something, the platter drive doesn't spin, right? And it only spins up when a file thereon is accessed?

5. docderwood thread starter macrumors member

As far as I can tell, it still spins all the time, just isn't accessed much.

6. jsilas macrumors regular

Understood. I think there's a way to get the idle disk to spin down after a certain amount of time, but I'm not sure - I'll keep looking/reading.

In the meantime, I just rebuilt my MacBook from scratch with a fresh OS X installation, and implemented the Symlinks per your instructions. It works like a charm.

MANY thanks to you and to the Symlink app creator as you've made my life quite a measure simpler with your great app and simple instructions.

Cheers to you!:D

7. rafaelgimenes, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

rafaelgimenes macrumors newbie

its very complicated, for me I just used a simple command.
    ln -s

sudo rm -r Pictures/Password:
    ln -s /Volumes/DATA/Pictures/ Pictures
    sudo rm -r Documents/

8. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

I'm struggling here. When I do this, even when I log in as a root user, it appears to delete my original downloads folder, it appears that I've put a symlink to the moved/renamed "Downloads" that I've got on the HDD, but it seems that somewhere along the line OSX recreates the "special" downloads folder anew, next to my symlink. I'm now fairly confused, any advice?