Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reblaus2501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Hi,

I currently moving from Linux Ubuntu towards Macintosh.

Now I have a questions:
Has somebody experience how to move Evolution Emails towards Mac Mail?

Evolution Mail (Rel 2.28.3) -> Ubuntu Distribution 10.04

Would be great if somebody could help.

Many thanks in advance
reblaus2501

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Evolution is just an email client like Mac Mail. Sync your accounts to Mail and all your emails will be there.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Evolution is just an email client like Mac Mail. Sync your accounts to Mail and all your emails will be there.

True if the OP has an IMAP account. If on POP and the emails are deleted from the server, then the emails won't show up on the Mac. In which case they could be exported from Evolution in a fashion that the Mac could import. I think you can "save as" mbox from Evolution, which should work.

I would advise the OP to get an IMAP account if the current one isn't.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
You're right. I often forget to mention POP, as most services are configured to IMAP by default now.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hi,

I currently moving from Linux Ubuntu towards Macintosh.

Now I have a questions:
Has somebody experience how to move Evolution Emails towards Mac Mail?

Evolution Mail (Rel 2.28.3) -> Ubuntu Distribution 10.04

Would be great if somebody could help.

Many thanks in advance
reblaus2501

I, too went from Linux to OSX. I didn't have (current) stuff in Evolution, but I did have several gig of ancient email sitting in windows eudora. Without so much as a windows box under my roof, I looked for a way to import that old stuff and found it in Mozilla thunderbird.

Here is what you can do assuming your email lives in Evolution and nowhere else. ( Needless to say if you are using IMAP, you need do nothing but point mail.app to your email server and it all just shows up.)

1) "import" your email to thunderbird from evolution
2) get a gmail account and set it up using imap
3) drag email you imported to thunderbird into a new "folder" underneath your gmail account. What this does is upload all that old mail to google.
4) connect apple mail to your gmail account using imap and all that email is now sitting in mail.app.

More info here...

The article is written as if everything is happening on Linux, but the steps are presumably the same running thunderbird on your Mac, after you've found and copied over evolution's mbox files to your Mac.

I had to do this to get old email imported from Eudora into and searchable from mail.app. Thunderbird is a nice "go between" email client that knows how to import a great many formats and Evolution is one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.