How to move Home Folder/Users in Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by scouser75, Jan 12, 2012.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Guys, I need your help please.

My wife and I share the Mac. She has her account. I have mine.

Right now, I have 3 internal HD's. The first is my Boot drive and the other 2 my Media drives.

We store all our documents on the 2nd drive. Unfortunately things get messy as she has access to my docs and me to hers.

Right now, we have separate folders for each of our stuff.

But is there a way on Lion which will enable things to work as they would if we were to be storing all our documents on the Boot drive, meaning we could only see the docs of the account that has been logged in to?

I checked the following Link, but the method seems to be a little risky for Lion

http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move-the-home-folder-in-os-x-and-why/

Any other suggestions please?

2. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

set the permissions to be the same as the contents of your documents folder in your home directory.

For each user, if the permissions are 700, you will not have access to see their documents.

So if we have two users with their own folders, e.g. bob and jim, you would do the following:

cd /Volumes/<shared drive name>
    chmod 700 ./bob
    chmod 700 ./jim

If bob is logged in, he will not have permission to see the contents of jim's folder.

3. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

you'll need to make sure each user owns their own folder, obviously :)

5. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL! Of course :D

So, in essence, I want to have a Movies, Music, Documents & Pictures Folders, as does my wife.

Can we both title ours the same? Or do they need to be titled differently? EG Movies & Movies1, Pictures & Pictures2 etc?

6. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

If they are at the same level, they can't be named the same. You could create two folders, one owned by you called scouser75 and one owned by the wife called, err, wife. If you set the permissions on those to 700, neither would be able to see what is stored in the other and you can create whatever folders you like.