How to move iphone 6 from wife's line to my unlimited line once I receive it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slumpey, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Slumpey macrumors regular

Here is my situation on Verizon:

Line 1 (me) - Unlimited Smartphone Data (No Upgrade Eligible)

Line 2 (wife) - 2GB Smartphone Data (Upgrade Eligible)

I want to use iPhone 6 on Line 1 with Unlimited Data.

I pre-ordered iPhone 6 last week (due on Sept 19th) under Line 2 since it said upgrade eligible using new Verizon edge plan for the monthly payments option.

Please assist: When I receive the phone how can I transfer the iPhone 6 to my number so I still keep unlimited data and my wife still keeps her old phone on her line.

• Do I need to call up Verizon customer service to have the switch done or can it be done online?
    • Should I not turn on the new phone just yet?
    • Do I need to do something with the sim cards on both the iphone 6 and my old iphone 5.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

Seriously? Is swapping the sim cards all that is necessary to switch phone numbers between phones?

4. Slumpey thread starter macrumors regular

so I would just put the sim card from my current iphone 5 into the iphone 6 when I receive it. What do I do with the iphone 6 sim card.

I am going to be giving my wife my old iphone 5 since she has an old iphone 4. do I just then put the sim card that came with the iphone 6 and put it in my old iphone 5.

5. gui888 macrumors newbie

Won't work - The SIM cards are not compatible:(

6. koolaid-drinker macrumors 6502

Sadly, this is not possible anymore...

http://www.phonedog.com/2014/08/25/...ed-cheap-upgrades-with-unlimited-data/Verizon now requires

Customers that upgrade to a new smartphone on a contract to keep a data package on that line for the length of the contract. So if you use a line to upgrade to a new phone by signing a 2-year contract, you’ll need to keep a data plan active on that line for the entirety of the contract.

7. VO2Max macrumors member

Wife and I are in the same exact situation and we spoke with a VZW rep on the phone prior to preordering and he confirmed this is possible. She has the unlimited data and I have a 2GB TDP and we are on an old Nationwide plan. She has been out of contract since 12/12 on her iPhone 4 and my phone just became eligible for an upgrade since I bought the iPhone 5 on launch day. We used my upgrade and purchased an iPhone 6 at a discounted price. I will be on a new contract, which is no big deal since I plan on keeping my phone for another 2 years anyway. Once the phone comes, it is my understanding that we activate it on my line and then switch the new phone to her unlimited line.

The issue we may have is with the sim card, and should not be that big of an issue anyway. It's my understanding that the Verizon iPhone 4 does not have a sim card. We may have to stop by a Verizon store for a sim once the switch has been completed. Make sure it's a Verizon corporate store as I believe they do not charge for sims.

Before actiavating the phone on my line we will probably call customer support and have them walk us through it just be sure we are doing everything correctly.

8. aham23 macrumors regular

do not activate the new phone when you get it. go into a local ATT shop and explain what you want/need to do. i did this same thing with a 4 to 5s which had different SIMs. they simply provided a new sim and transfered over the numbers. it was about 30 minutes of time over a lunch break. good luck.

9. Slumpey, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

Slumpey thread starter macrumors regular

Are you talking about VO2max's situation regarding the comment above or my post pertains beginning of the thread.

Which SIM cards are not compatible, putting my old iPhone 5 SIM card into the new iPhone 6 when I receive it.

10. Slumpey thread starter macrumors regular

11. segrobja macrumors regular

Interested in this as well. I upgraded the line that my iPad was on and want to put my 6+ on my main line to replace my 5 that I rapidly failing.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP has data package on both lines so it should be fine. What's not possible is to device swap it and put a dumbphone with no data back on line 2 but the OP isn't doing that.

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Hello. Hello. Hello.

The OP noted that both phones HAVE a data plan.

14. mark824 macrumors member

iPhone 5 Nano Sim, iPhone 4 Micro Sim. You would need to cut down the size of the iPhone 4 sim in order for it to fit into the iPhone 5.