How to move iTunes data to a new computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dvir971, Oct 8, 2011.

1. dvir971 macrumors regular

dvir971

Hi,
    I Am a Windows 7 user.
    I have and iPhone and iPad synced to a computer. I just bought a new computer, how can I transfer the data from the itunes in the old computer, to the itunes in the new computer (when I say data i mostly mean app data- game savings, apps prefrences and such)...
    Can sombody give me a guide?

2. dvir971, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

dvir971 thread starter macrumors regular

dvir971

That include app data? because if so it does help!
    but there is some shorter way? this looks very long and difficult..
    And with this guide, can i transfer the account to 2 different computers?

and one more things, when it tells me i should check the Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library tab:
    "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library determines whether files that you add to your library are automatically copied into the music folder, or left in their original location. When you import new content with this option disabled, iTunes simply “references” the file from wherever you’re importing it, rather than making a copy of it in your iTunes Media folder."
    if i dont want to copy my music, only the apps and such, I still need to check that tab?

3. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I don't think iTunes stores app data, only in backups which by the way are not stored in the iTunes folder. Not sure where they are on windows. I'll see if I can find the location for you though.

4. dvir971 thread starter macrumors regular

dvir971

wait, are you saying there is a chance that when i need to move to a new computer i will have to start all the games / apps from the beginning?

5. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

%AppData%\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

The folders will be crazy strings of numbers and letters, those are what you want. I'd take the whole 'Backup' folder. When you transfer your whole library it won't know the difference so you won't lose anything.

6. dvir971 thread starter macrumors regular

dvir971

this is in windows 7?
    because when i paste this in the adress bar it tells me there is no such location...
    isnt there a folder that i just need to copy so it will all work?

7. dvir971 thread starter macrumors regular

dvir971