How to move iTunes Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by midwich, Jan 24, 2017.

1. midwich macrumors member

I've been having major issues with freezing/crashing since updating to Sierra, each time needing to restore the OS. I *think* the problem lies with preference conflicts in my personal area, so I've created a fresh User area following a fresh OS install and at present, running nothing but Safari, all is well.

Assuming all stays well, I will need to shift over various files, including my iTunes library. A couple of questions then: to move the main Library from the Music folder in my old area, could I simply shift it to a Shared folder, and then into the Music folder of my new area? I'm thinking about permissions issues etc. Other thing: aside the main library package, are there any other preference files I should look out for to bring over too?
    Thanks for your help!
    midwich

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Copy the entire contents of the Music folder over to Shared then into the Music folder in the new account. That won;t cause permissions issues and will be sure to get all the actual music files as well and the iTunes library and related index files.

3. midwich thread starter macrumors member

OK, thanks very much! :)