How to move itunes to sd card and use on mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nybuckeye88, Jul 13, 2017.

1. nybuckeye88 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook air with limited storage. I am out of space and would like to free up storage on the main hard drive and my itunes folder is taking up the bulk of the space. If I install an SD card into the machine, can I move my itunes library to the sd card as a permanent solution (i.e. and be able to access and play the music as i would on itunes?) I saw that there is one solution made by Tardisk but it seems awfully expensive to pay $150 for an extra 128gb.

Thanks in advance.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Yes you can. Just set your iTunes library path to your SD card location and you are good to go.
    My library is on an external disk, similar to your use case.

3. nybuckeye88 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I kinda can’t remember the exact setting in iTunes but there is a way to set it up.
    1. Move your library to SD card.
    2. Press and hold the control key on Mac, and click iTunes icon on dock Or launchpad.
    3. There should be a window saying something which has only one ok button. Click that button.
    4. In the next window, click “choose library”.
    5. Find your iTunes library folder, and choose “iTunes library.itl” in the root folder of your library.
    6. Next time you open iTunes, it should load the library on your SD card.

Reply if there is anything wrong happen.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You want to hold the option key in that step.

6. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Ahh, I am wrong on this one. :(

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Just be careful, if you ever start iTunes and the card is not available, it can corrupt your library if you follow the steps above. This is because the iTunes database file is always stored by default on the SSD, so iTunes will look for files on the SD card and not find them if it's not available. It really *shouldn't* cause corruption but it does - happened to me and was a pain to fix.

The solution is to move the database file to the SD card as well as the media. Then you will get an error message if the card isn't available, but no harm will be done. See this article (especially the part about the database): http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

8. Macgyver1 macrumors member

Macgyver1

I used a Lexar 128gb S75 mini USB flash drive. Got iTunes and pics on it, works great(fast), and only sticks out a few mm.

Best