How to move mkv to fat32 portable hard drive

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dlee43, Jan 23, 2009.

1. dlee43 macrumors newbie

I need help moving some large 8 gig files to a fat32 formatted wd passport hard drive. I need the drive to stay in fat 32 because I want to be able to connect it to my ps3 for pictures and videos. The mac os extended option is also not an option because I am eventually going to purchase a wdtv media player that won't recognize these files under the partioned mac os extended. So my question is how would I get these files moved over? Can someone tell me how to zip or compress them.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you will have to break them up into multiple parts... theres a thread here in the video forum about converting mkv for the PS3.

3. dlee43 thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm not trying to put the mkv files on my ps3, I'm just trying to put them on the wd passport which is formatted to fat 32 since I use that external hard drive to put other stuff on my ps3. So how would I move the mkv files to the wd passport?

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you can't... you need to break it up into parts that are under 4gb each

5. dlee43 thread starter macrumors newbie

So there is no way to compress it? I'm really just looking to move it onto my portable hard drive because it's taking up too much space on my computer.

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

yes, you can compress it or break it up... follow the instructions in the "Definative GUIDE for converting .MKV files to .MP4 files for PS3 usage! " thread like I said before.