How to move movie files from MacBook iPhoto to Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by .macstiled, May 16, 2008.

1. .macstiled macrumors member

I have a few hundred Canon SD450 movie files that I copied to iPhoto on my MacBook, but now I can't find them on the hard drive to copy them off to my mac pro for editing (Final Cut Pro). Anyone know where these are located? In iPhoto the only option was to export them, but that's a lot of footage to needlessly render out (and lose a generation). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

figure out what file format they export to and use Spotlight

3. Tattoo macrumors 6502

Im confused! You talk about "movie files" copied to iPhoto? Did you mean iMovie?

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

iPhoto handles the small movie clips that digital cameras take...

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...couldn't you just copy over the iPhoto library?

And how do you lose a generation when exporting digital photos? You know exporting isn't the same as converting, right?

6. .macstiled thread starter macrumors member

They're AVI files, and use an MJPEG codec. And I tried that. I can search for the files using Spotlight, but when I go to drag the file to my desktop it won't allow me to.

Yep.

I didn't want to just copy the iPhoto library over because I don't have iPhoto installed on the Mac Pro, and don't want to (though I have a copy as a last resort). If I just copied the library over without iPhoto installed, would Final Cut Pro see and have access to those movie files? I'm actually not even sure FCP would be able to edit them anyway.

As for exporting... so you're saying they would just export as-is, and wouldn't be re-rendered for QT? That would take forever, not to mention degrade quality. My plan was to get those original AVI files back, convert them to a lossless codec, then edit them with FCP on the Mac Pro.

Sorry I wasn't more clear before. And, yes, it was silly using iPhoto to import those movie files, but for some reason the MacBook didn't recognize the camera when I plugged it in, but iPhoto did. And I was on vacation in Europe, and the MacBook was all I had available :)

Thank you for the replies!

7. Mishutka macrumors newbie

Package files

Your problem may be in the package files that holds the photos in iphoto 08

Try opening Finder , your user name and Pictures to find iPhoto library. Then CTRL click it and Show Package contents. Look in Originals subfolder.

Then you should be able to drag and drop as usual

8. .macstiled thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!

Thank you so much, Mishutka. That's what I needed.