How to move MS OneNote notes to mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RKpro, Oct 28, 2008.

1. RKpro macrumors 6502

Hi everybody,

I just switched to a mac on Oct the 24, and loving it so far, learning the new software is easy and painless so far.

I just have a quick question, I'm in the middle of a semester, and I used MS OneNote to take all my previous notes. What software could you recommend to replace OneNote on the mac, preferably something that I can import my old notes into....

Most people I see who take notes on macs use Pages, or other word processing software, but I'm looking for actual note taking software like OneNote.

If there are no easy replacements, I'm going to try to get OneNote running though crossover, since it's free today anyway...

Thanks. :apple:

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

My friend, in case you haven't met, I'd like to introduce the "Forum Search Tool" :D:D:D:D

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=426460

As far as exporting, you can attempt to export to Docx and then import back into Word 2008, not sure, I've been wanting to try this but my office is to cheap to get me onenote for my laptop (I have ways of using it though) I think it's awsome and love using it on projects.

When I get home tonight, I think I'm gonna try this anyway since I'm curious.

As mentioned in the linked post, there are other pretty cool tools for note taking, but if you wanted to keep things in somewhat of a compatible MS Office environment, then Word in notebook mode might be the way to go.

3. RKpro thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for quick reply, never seen the notebook view in word, looks good...

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I haven't really played with it so I'm not sure if it has similar functionality like OneNote does. I loved one note for the fact that I can add anything to it, type pretty much anywhere, easy conditional formatting, etc etc.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

FYI, Docx etc does NOT translate to notebook view. It just opened in a doc.

I'll give it one thing (the notebook view) it takes a LOT to get used to. If you already have a copy of OneNote I suggest getting (before it's to late) the crossover pro and install onenote on the Mac using it.

The notebook view has most of the features of onenote (ability to insert almost anything) but lacks the 'subsections' I've gotten used to in onenote.

Anyway, notebook <> onenote. I prefer the subsections/grouping in onenote, if that ability is in notebook view, I'll keep word on my mac, otherwise it gets the trash can tonight.

6. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Have you looked into MacJournal as a replacement? Although I doubt that it can read/import a OneNote file. Microsoft uses proprietary formats all the time...

7. Izzy macrumors member

I haven't used this but it looks interesting. I doubt it will import your files but it may be a good replacement. http://www.circusponies.com/