Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kucharsk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2016
Here's my current config:

Mac Pro 5,1:
========
Two internal Apple SATA SuperDrives (HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH61N)
Hitachi 2 TB SATA HD x 2 (Old Media, safety clone of boot drive)
Hitachi 3 TB SATA HD (Time Machine Drive)
WD 10 TB SATA HD (Media Drive for iTunes containing my iTunes Library - 29,000 songs, most ripped from CD in Apple Lossless format, Library size 520 GB)

OWC Accelsior 1M2 with 2 TB OWC M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot and Lightroom 6 Catalog/Media Drive)
OWC Mercury Accelsior S + OWC Mercury 6G 2 TB SSD (Online backup for Lightroom 6 Media)

Radeon RX 580 driving two 30" Apple Studio Displays, one via an Apple Mini DisplayPort To Dual-Link DVI Adapter, the other via Dual-Link DVI directly.

I'd like to move all of this over to using a Mac Studio instead, but am unsure as to the best way to drive the 30" Apple Cinema Displays and retain the two SuperDrives as I still use this machine to rip new CDs (I purchase physical media exclusively, I don't stream and rarely buy from the Apple Music store).

Solutions like the OWC Thunderbay or Sabrent USB-3 towers would handle the existing HDs, but neither seem to support an open face for the optical drives.

I could replace all the SATA HDs with a single larger capacity one, but as I recently lost a Seagate 8 TB drive after only just two years where the Hitachis have been running for thirteen…

I also have three FW800 drives and video hardware (a Sony DSR-20 DVCAM deck I use to import SD video from DVCAM as well as SVHS) I'd need to support.

Note the Mac Pro 5,1 is working wonderfully, but of course I'm stuck on Mojave 10.14.6 and neither Safari nor Google Chrome are updated for this OS any more.

The 30" Cinema Displays are calibrated and working properly, so there's no need to replace them with Studio Displays or an XDR Display.

I could keep using the Mac Pro 5,1 for just iTunes, but as the main Mac hardware is now thirteen years old I'm reticent to rely upon it much longer.

Thanks in advance!!

CrazyNurse

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I also finally retired my 4,1/5,1 and donated it to charity. I moved all the data from my internal drives to a Synology NAS and used the TM drive w/migration assistant to keep my settings and other user profiles. Since the Studio and NAS have 10gbe ports I’ll probably pick up a multi-gig switch to put between them.

kucharsk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2016
I also finally retired my 4,1/5,1 and donated it to charity. I moved all the data from my internal drives to a Synology NAS and used the TM drive w/migration assistant to keep my settings and other user profiles. Since the Studio and NAS have 10gbe ports I’ll probably pick up a multi-gig switch to put between them.

A NAS is way too much of a hassle for my situation as those disks will only ever be accessed by that single machine even though I have multiple machines on my network.

I prefer local drives.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I also have three FW800 drives and video hardware (a Sony DSR-20 DVCAM deck I use to import SD video from DVCAM as well as SVHS) I'd need to support.

Note the Mac Pro 5,1 is working wonderfully, but of course I'm stuck on Mojave 10.14.6 and neither Safari nor Google Chrome are updated for this OS any more.
I'd suggest keeping the old computer around just for this. Especially if you do any DVD authoring. I picked up a used 3,1 a couple years ago and stashed it away for a spare.

wdhpgx

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
For my 3,1 to studio transition, I:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
You can get an external enclosure for the SuperDrives. Vantec make some that connect to the Studio via a USB-A connector.

StarTeck makes a DualLink-DVI to USB-C connector so two of those will handle the Apple Cinema Displays.

As for the SSDs/HDDs, probably the easiest is one USB-C or Thunderbolt enclosure for each type configured for RAID-1 with a single SSD/HDD with sufficient capacity to handle everything. That way all the data is cloned across two drives so if one fails, you have a backup. I use an OWC 2-port USB-C enclosure with two 8TB HDDs for all my media and select folder backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.