Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bolo4u

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Ok, here is the story...

My 95yo grandmothers funeral was Monday, and after spending the day with family and friends at my parents home I forgot my iPhone on their kitchen counter. My Dad called, to let me know I left it behind and I told him I'd get it Tuesday morning(I live across the street from them). Well, he called Tuesday morning to ask if I had come to get the phone, but I had not. Come to find out, someone entered their home during the night (while my parents and two aunts) were alseep, and stole my iPhone, his wallet, digital camera, some cash, his federal officer badge, and some collecter coins. The sheriff was called, and we found out there have been several similar burglaries in the immediate area over the last couple of days. His wallet was recovered on the side of the road just around the corner from their house, but nothing esle has been found.

I called and had AT&T disable the phone, but did not have any lojack, gps, finder, or other locatiing service active on the phone. I have only had the phone for 5 months (8g black 3g), so I am not eligable for any upgrades, but AT&T generously offered to sell me an iPhone for full retail.

Here is my question:

When I do get a replacement, and activate the phone via iTunes, can I just re-sync everything from my old phone onto the new phone and will it copy all of my contacts, settings and such? If not, how do I copy everthing over?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
You can restore everything that was backed up in your last sync to iTunes. When you register/ activate your iPhone on iTunes you can restore it from a previous sync, including all your contacts, notes, etc.

Then of course songs and such.

However, if you have information that you added to the phone, but had not synced since you added that info, it is gone, AFAIK.

Also, sorry to hear of your grandmother and the theft.

Bolo4u

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Update

First, let me say thank's to UnspokenDemise for the info. I don't have to get a new iPhone after all... Long story short, thanks to some very dilligent work by the sheriffs detectives, everything that was stolen during the burglary at my parents house (iPhone, wallet, watch, federal badge, antique coins, purse) except the digital camera, and $25 cash has been recovered.:D:D

The deputies conducted a probation search at a house they got a few leads on, then called me and said they think they found the iPhone. When I got there I confirmed it was mine, as well as some of the other property that was discovered. The 17 year old responsible is now sitting in a small cold cell in juvenile hall. Some of the property from the other 5-6 residential burglaries (residents were asleep at the time as well) was also recovered.:)

Again thank you for the support

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
First, let me say thank's to UnspokenDemise for the info. I don't have to get a new iPhone after all... Long story short, thanks to some very dilligent work by the sheriffs detectives, everything that was stolen during the burglary at my parents house (iPhone, wallet, watch, federal badge, antique coins, purse) except the digital camera, and $25 cash has been recovered.:D:D

The deputies conducted a probation search at a house they got a few leads on, then called me and said they think they found the iPhone. When I got there I confirmed it was mine, as well as some of the other property that was discovered. The 17 year old responsible is now sitting in a small cold cell in juvenile hall. Some of the property from the other 5-6 residential burglaries (residents were asleep at the time as well) was also recovered.:)

Wow. Remind me to move to your neighbordhood, cause the cops actually do a decent job.

Congrats on getting your iPhone back!

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000

You're welcome, and thats great to hear! 3 cheers for the boys in blue!
Also, *ahem, there is a space between Unspoken and Demise.
Just saying. :p

But seriously, that punk got what he deserved. Its rare these things are returned and you truly lucked out.

JimBrown1

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
You can restore your all content from iTunes. When you activate your iphone you can able to restore it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.