How to move Outlook email messages to Mac Entourage for FREE

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 9Charms, Aug 23, 2009.

1. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

I just spent an hour Googling how to do import my Outlook 2007 email messages to Entourage 2008. Everyone kept recommending O2M by Little Machines. And while that seems like a bargain for $10, I wanted a free solution. I found one and I am here to share with you how I did it:

1. You need to still have Outlook installed on your PC
    2. On your PC, download and install Thunderbird
    3. In Thunderbird, import your email from Outlook
    4. Still on your PC, copy the Profiles folder in C:/Documents and Settings/[yourname]/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/[some garbly goop numbers and letters] to your Mac
    5. On your Mac, fire up Mail.app and import from Thunderbird (the garbly-goop folder you just copied). You will find your imported messages as a new mail box on the side bar labeled "Imported."
    6. Open Entourage 2008 and import from Apple Mail. Optionally, select only the specific folder(s) you want to import

And you're done. I did NOT use this technique with contacts/to-do/calendar/notes so your mileage may vary with those items using this method. It's a bit of a round about way of going at it, but it's free. I guess my time is only worth $10/hr...

Anyways, hope this helps someone out there.

2. shaviv macrumors newbie

stuck on phase 4

Great job 9charms... I did got stuck on phase 4! Can you please explain hot to do it? I only found "Application DatadMb" but gives me no further option.

Thanks a million

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Entourage is the worst email program I have ever seen. It's slow, and can corrupt its own databases to the point where they are unrecoverable even with it's built in database repair utility.

I would never suggest that anyone use it.

Your method is good though. It's what I have used to get outlook/express mail onto the mac to be used in Mail or Thunderbird.

There's also a how-to here in post #9
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=679426&highlight=thunderbird

4. shaviv macrumors newbie

Entourage 2008

Thank you AgentPhish... To be honest, as i'm relatively new to Mac, i'm using VM WARE just because to use outlook... not that I'm 90% familiar with MAC, I feel more than comfortable to use MAC mail or Entourage 2008 (works well with my new IM with 4gb ram)
    What other mail app you suggest?
    Thank you so much

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

We've put a lot of work into improving Entourage, the fruits of which you can see in Entourage 2008 (as well as the new Entourage for Web Services, which we released earlier this month).

Database performance and reliability have been drastically improved, and they continue to improve as we release service packs.

Personally, my Entourage database is well over 10 GB, and I haven't had a database corruption (even though I'm often running it against pre-alpha code) in nearly three years. I haven't had any corruption since I began using pre-alpha builds of Entourage for Web Services.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

6. Greathodgy macrumors newbie

Outlook email messages to Mac Entourage

I am stuck on 4. also. Found the profiles folder. How do I copy it to my Mac ?

4. Still on your PC, copy the Profiles folder in C:/Documents and Settings/[yourname]/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/[some garbly goop numbers and letters] to your Mac

I like the speed of the Mac over my PC but I find the help tutorials that come with it almost useless to me. If it was not for forums like this I would have not gone past pushing the power

Any help would be appreciated.

7. omeletpants macrumors regular

I have Entourage data base corruption. Every time I try to delete emails Entourage locks up. And now I'm supposed to spend $150 to upgrade to 2008 to get rid of the problem?.