How to move sim card from 2g to 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lldks, Mar 9, 2010.

1. lldks macrumors newbie

I have a jailbroken 2G (used with T-mobile) and just bought a 3gs that seems to be unlocked, jailbroken, and at 3.1.2. What now? Do I just move my sim card from one to the other? How? Do I need some kind of tool? I don't know what all of this is but the new (lightly used) one has blackra1n and cydia listed on it and I was told it was untethered.

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

if it is fully jb and unlocked use the sim removal tool or a paper clip to remove the sim from the top of the phone. then just swap them.

3. lldks thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I just assume that it is "fully unlocked and jailbroken" if the guy that sold it to me on ebay said so? No "unlock tool" came with it so will the paperclip thing work on both the 2g and the 3gs? I assume that the phone should be off to make this move, right? Someone else said to first turn off 3g on the 3gs since I'm using t-mobile so I've done that.

4. lldks thread starter macrumors newbie

OK this is wierd but now i can't turn off my 2g (that has the sim card). Any ideas?

5. doumbek macrumors member

Play as much with it as you can 'til it drains the battery and shuts off.

6. lldks thread starter macrumors newbie

But can I go on and remove the sim card from it while it is still powered on?

7. lldks thread starter macrumors newbie

Just moved the sim card and the new 3gs phone recognized it so i guess all's well. Except..... the 3gs isn't finding my home wifi. the 2g one (without the sim card) is seeing it just fine. What now? The 3gs one says Cellular Data Network under General/Network. Before that it was at least looking for the wifi but never found it. Help?