How to "move" TC ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aham23, Jan 19, 2014.

1. aham23 macrumors regular

I just got a new Airport Extreme I am hooking up. I have a 5th gen TC currently hard wired to my iMac providing wifi and back up solution. I want to move the TC downline into my basement & install the AE in the office. The TC will be hard wired and extending the wife network and do the back ups.

Is it just as simple as powering down everything, unplug, move, turn on and follow set up instructions? The TC can still be used with Time Machine if not directly connected to the iMac? Both will be in bridge mode as I am letting an older 2wire do the routing since its a pain to work with.

Much thanks!

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'm quite sure if your TC is on your local network anywhere, then it can be used as a destination for your iMac's Time Machine backups. Bridge mode is fine.

I think you're saying the old TC will be hard-wired to your new Airport Extreme (this is good -- the best way to extend your network) and presumably your iMac will now be hard-wired to the new AE. If so, you'll get the same performance for your iMac backups as before.

3. aham23 thread starter macrumors regular

yes on the hard wired to each other. much thanks.