How to network a Macbook Pro to a G5 tower.?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fab5freddy, Nov 16, 2007.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

does anyone know how to network a
    macbook pro to a G5 tower wirelessly ?

thanks

2. jwkay macrumors regular

jwkay

Not sure exactly what you want to do, but I do it all the time.
    I assume you have a wireless network which both machines connect to. In Leopard, the Screen Sharing available through the Finder is great alternative. In previous versions of OS X, I've used the Finder Go->Connect to Server option to access remote hard drives. Again, this is easier in Leopard.

If you don't have a wireless network, but have wireless cards in both machines, just create an ad-hoc network on one of the machines and connect the other to it.

3. Jocko macrumors member

Yeah what is it that you are trying to do? Share file between the two machines?

4. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

yeah, i just want to be able to share large files between the 2 computers.
    they are in a studio with wifi, about 25 feet from each other.

5. jwkay macrumors regular

jwkay

Enable File Sharing on both machines (think it's called Personal File Sharing pre 10.5). This is in System Preferences->Sharing, logically enough.

In 10.5 you should then be able to see the other machine in the Finder. I always found this flakey pre 10.5, so just used the Finder Go->Connect To Server command instead. Use the address given in System Preferences->Sharing in this case.

6. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

You know, I've had some problems with this recently sharing files between my iMac (Tiger) and MacBook (Leopard). Before, they connected no problem, but ever since I installed Leopard on the MacBook, when I try to connect to the iMac I'm told that it is "Not available." It's weird, because when I use the connect to server option and put in my iMac IP, it does work.... some times. Any idea which setting is wrong on which computer?

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow i havent had that problem. ive just had my imac(tiger) allowing personal file sharing, and it has been all good. the filewall(nortons) is turned on and ive allowed the specific comptuer to have access to my computer. if your using apples built-in firewall i doubt youd have that trouble though. wierd tho huh..:confused:

maybe in leopards system preferences>sharing you should allow personal file sharing, and maybe try to configure something through there?