Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glasserp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Quickly searched, but couldn't find a thread on this. Does anyone know how to do this or have any ideas? I synch with my iPhone with my Apple Address Book and I get 150 contacts (AOL screen names included), but I only need the 50 or so that have phone numbers. There's no point to have that extra 100 contacts to have to flip through when trying to make a call. Thanks!

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok... i was curious... so i just spent the past 30 minutes trying this... Here is what you do!

First, you can single them out real easily by making a "Smart Group" and putting "IM username is not set and phone is set"

Then you will have to create a new regular group where you will put all these contacts because smart groups dont seem to show up in iTunes. Highlight all the users in the smart group and put them in this new group.

Then in iTunes you can choose to only sync the groups you want... http://www.bioinformatics.org/~deepan/freeoniphone/outlookimg2.png
There is also a setting there to add all new users created on the iPhone to be a part of a specific group.

Another option: Delete them all out of your address book and don't store their name in the "Address Card" section of iChat. They only get added to your contacts whenever you type in a name for them there. (Do the smart group the opposite way (phone is not set and IM is set) to find them all)

Good luck?

glasserp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Thanks for the tip. What I ended up doing was just creating a smart group for "phone is set" because some of my contacts have BOTH a phone number and a screen name, I just didn't want contacts on my phone with JUST a screen name (hopefully that makes sense). Anyway, thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.