How to offload photos

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bigfatipod, Jul 6, 2014.

1. bigfatipod macrumors member

Hi, I could use some help here.

I've been regularly filling up my iPhone (16gb) and have needed to unload whenever I can get to my mba. I know there are a couple wireless/cloud options, but I'm not sure which is best for my situation.

My initial thought, since I've had good experiences in other situations, is to enable camera upload with the Dropbox app. However, from what I can tell, if I start taking pictures they all get uploaded? My concern is that I often take pictures of sensitive documents and don't want them to leave my phone locally.

The rest of the time (~90%), I really don't care how it gets done - I just want the full quality images to be available for download to my mba. Also, I do not want my pictures to be available for others on social networks.

Thanks for any help,
    Keith

2. Jamiemcg macrumors newbie

Personally, I use both DropBox and Windows Live OneDrive to transfer files between my iPhone and my computers, with OneDrive mainly being used to store photos that I have taken.

Also, I do not have the automatic camera roll upload enabled on either of the apps, in order to save some space and to help keep photos organized, as I upload them myself and organize them into folders.

Like with DropBox, Windows Live OneDrive can also be installed on your computer, so that you can drag files in and out of it, which some users may like.

OneDrive also includes a decent amount of storage for free, with upgrade options being cheaper than those offered by DropBox.

https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/

Here's a link to the OneDrive app for iOS, if you're interested in checking it out.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onedrive-formerly-skydrive/id477537958?mt=8

Best of luck!

- Jamie

3. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Don't take pictures of documents. There are a ton of apps that you can use to "scan" a document and turn it into a PDF. (or save the picture to your camera roll if you desire)

I use "Scanner Pro", personally. Works great and crops the document.. makes it look nice as opposed to just taking a picture of a piece of paper.

Hope that helps you.

4. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I can vouch for one drive, 10gb for free when you download the iOS app. I had it on android and only got 7gb originally but they must have reached an agreement with Apple to increase the usage of the iOS app!

5. bigfatipod thread starter macrumors member

Great, thank you - I will give all of these a shot. Plus, it looks like I picked up Scanner Pro at some point, too!

Appreciate it

6. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

The fastest way to transfer photos from the iPhone to a Mac is to plug it in, and use Image Capture.

It's quick (file system access), and sensitive documents don't pass through any cloud service.

7. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

I can vouch for image capture being a very quick way to get pics saved.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Supposedly it should be 15 GB free by default now: https://blog.onedrive.com/new-onedrive-storage-plans/