Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

to1986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I was wondering how I go about opening a deb file on a mac running OSX 10.6? thanks

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Do you mean purely "open" them, rather than "install" them? A .deb file is a packaged software installer for Debian Linux (and its derivatives.) If you want to install it, you're out of luck, I don't know of any way to install .deb packages on OS X.

If all you want to do is expand the package to look inside, try dpkg-deb, specifically the -x command-line option.

to1986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Do you mean purely "open" them, rather than "install" them? A .deb file is a packaged software installer for Debian Linux (and its derivatives.) If you want to install it, you're out of luck, I don't know of any way to install .deb packages on OS X.

If all you want to do is expand the package to look inside, try dpkg-deb, specifically the -x command-line option.

Ye i am just trying to expand the package. I couldn't open the link u attached, but in terminal i cd to the location of the file, and I typed in: dpkg-deb -x filename.deb

but it gives me command not found error, am I entering it in wrong?

to1986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Don't worry I found an application that did it for me! Thanks anyway.

gdwarner

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2018
Seattle, Washington
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I ran across a .deb file on SourceForge, downloaded it, opened it with the Unarchiver, located the appropriate file -- which is a Unix file of some kind -- Control-clicked it to open it with WidgetMaker X (looking for some data links).

.... but Gatekeeper says no.

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.