Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chiffs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Can anyone tell me how i can open a docx file from a windows user?

The only app i can open it with is text edit, pages just goes wibble

All trying to be done on a macbook pro 2012.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You should be able to open it with Pages.

If not, you can download LibreOffice and use that.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Can anyone tell me how i can open a docx file from a windows user?

The only app i can open it with is text edit, pages just goes wibble

All trying to be done on a macbook pro 2012.
You could use MS Office for Mac, for maximum compatibility with Windows users. If you don't want MS Office for some reason, there are many alternatives, such as iWork, NeoOffice, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Google Docs, etc. I haven't tested all of those, so I don't know if they can all open .docx files, but certainly MS Office for Mac does.

Chiffs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Pages just comes up with a massive error list saying it cant open.

Think it might be a locked doc which might be causing the problem

hypa123

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
docx to doc conversion

M$ Office or Pages opens docx

On my MacBook Pro purchased circa 2008 recently upgraded to OS X 10.6.8, I have MS Office X and it doesn't open docx documents. I don't have Pages.
I receive plenty of docx documents which, as things stand, I'm unable to open as a doc file.
The Open XML Converter app simply converts the file into rtf.

What's the solution?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Microsoft Office X is several years old, you will need a more recent version to support Docx (Office X is about 14 years old). I think Office 2004 might support it, but 2008 should for sure.

Or you can go with some of the alternative versions since iWork probably won’t work on your mac.

hypa123

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm sure you're right about the desirability of a later version of Office.

And yet, when I had OS X 10.5.7 installed, I had the Open XML Converter app as one of the "Open with..." options and it converted to doc with no difficulty.

The problem has arisen since I upgraded to OS X 10.6.8. Now, I don't even get the XML option.

(At some intermediate stage in the proceedings I had the XML Converter option and was able to convert to rtf).

As I indicated, I can receive docx documents via email. Reception is no problem. It's the conversion to my preferred doc format suddenly appears impossible.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
On my MacBook Pro purchased circa 2008 recently upgraded to OS X 10.6.8, I have MS Office X and it doesn't open docx documents. I don't have Pages.
I receive plenty of docx documents which, as things stand, I'm unable to open as a doc file.
The Open XML Converter app simply converts the file into rtf.

What's the solution?
You have a 2001 program and the format came in 2006-07. I would suggest getting a new office or newer pages; idk if there is a compatibility pack for office x, there prob isn't.
If you are on 10.6 just upgrade free to mavericks if it lets you and that should give you free to download Pages. GL

You can also try OpenOffice for Mac is free

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
If you are on 10.6 just upgrade free to mavericks if it lets you and that should give you free to download Pages.

He probably won’t be able to get Pages for free unless he owns a previous version (I think it has to be least 08) or you have to have a new Mac (which his is not)

hypa123

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
Thanks to all for the info.
For the short to medium term, the best solution I've been able to come up with is LibreOffice. It seems to do the business.
Long-term, I'll probably do best getting a newer mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.