How to open a picture

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Buddybeth, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Buddybeth macrumors newbie

I'm a new Mac user and when I save a picture from the internet I save it as a JPEG file. When I try to open the picture, however, it says that the file cannot be opened. I tried saving the picture in the regular pictures folder and in iPhoto. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

what app did you use to open it? preview?

is JPEG the extension of the fild name?

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Is it just one particular image you're having trouble with, or is it any jpeg image?

If you're just having problems with one image, that suggests a problem with that file. But if you can't download any jpegs successfully, you might have a different sort of problem.

Have you tried opening it in preview? (drag the icon to the preview app on the dock)

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

give us a link to the picture on the net and itll be easier to see the prob!, also, did you drag it from web to desktop or add to iphoto library?

5. Buddybeth thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I'm stupid. I realized that when I was clearing the file name to type in a new name I erased the .JPEG. I tried doing it again and it works fine now. I think I'm used to just typing whatever I want in Windows without typing. JPEG

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon.

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

did you buy a new mac? if its running leopard it only highlights the name part and not the extention of a file, so you may have a drop in leopard disk in the box, if its an older mac just ignore me. happy computing

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

To the OP: You don't have to have the extension showing to view the picture. I just downloaded a Jpeg and changed the name and removed the extension and it opened up in Preview, Safari and Quicktime. I am running Leopard.

I always love when newbies think that Windows can only do it. :D

8. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Tiger wont sometimes open a downloaded file without an extention, ive had that issue with pdf's before, had to add the extention or once the file was opened through open with or get info>change defaut app to open was ok. not sure if thats the same with leopard yet.