How to open a window in a separate tab in mission contorl?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by st0rm, Mar 19, 2012.

1. st0rm macrumors newbie

I can do this with some programs by clicking the 2 diagonal arrows pointing in opposite directions at the top right hand side. But for my VLC player, when I try to fullscreen it, it just expands to fit my desktop. What I want to do is to open it in a separate tab, like what can be done with iTunes or Google Chrome, not open a new desktop and then fullscreen it there. (For those who are still unsure about what I'm trying to achieve, here's an example picture: http://tinyurl.com/74wxjh3)

I have previously done it with my VLC Player before, but now for some reason I can't seem to get the same effect anymore.

Can anyone help me?

2. st0rm thread starter macrumors newbie

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I think you're confusing "tabs" (used in browsers to load multiple pages in a single window) and "desktops" (essentially multiple screens to the left and/or right of your current screen). So I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do.

If you're trying to get VLC to take advantage of Lion's full-screen mode, make sure you've updated to the latest version.

4. st0rm thread starter macrumors newbie

I've updated both the Mac OS and VLC to their latest versions already, and sadly, nothing works.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what do you mean by "nothing" works

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That really doesn't help the least bit. You don't get any help because nobody really understand what you want.
    There are only Windows and Desktops.
    Tabs are within applications.
    Try to explain it again differently. And maybe use a picture that is marked or has the VLC on it to show what you want precisely.

7. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Tabs allow you to open multiple instances of an app within itself. I think what you want is a separate "desktop", meaning you want to see one separate box at the top for your VLC window you open Mission Control?

Apps need to be updated to take advantage of full screen in a different "desktop" in Lion, so if you don't see that icon you've been clicking in your other apps, it cannot be done. You can move VLC into its own space and make it fullscreen in that space where it is the only app. At the top where all the desktops are, if you move your mouse to the extreme right, a button will appear allowing you to create an extra desktop. Just drag the VLC window into the new desktop and do whatever you want with it.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

OP if your talking about the apps in the top row with all the desktops vs the windows in the middle of the screen than those apps at the top in your screen shot are the ones running in lion full screen and the latest vlc does this I've tested

9. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

Well, he says that he doesn't want to do that (presumably because it takes few more clicks to achieve this vs. apps such as iTunes or Chrome that do it with one click?):

---

I am similarly disappointed with "full screen feature" in Guitar Pro 6 that doesn't automatically full screen it into a new desktop. I have to do it manually each time :/.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

The newest vlc does open in "lion" full screen mode