how to open .bin and .dmg files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bleufire, Jun 8, 2007.

1. bleufire macrumors member

when i try to open a .bin file, Quicktime pops up and says "the movie cannot be displayed" and when i try opening a .dmg file it opens in text editor in some wierd funk. HELP!

(im glad to know that i can get help and it may be something simple cause on my winCRAP machine i would of reformatted it just so i don't have to deal with it... :).....)

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I'm not on my mac so can't check for you, but a simple search revealed this for the DMG problem.

As for .bin, it may open with the same application, or you may have to rename it with the extension .iso and then it should open with the same app. However I can't test anything from where I am sorry.

Disk Image Mounter

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Definitely sounds like you have your file associations goofed up. .bin files usually open with an unarchiving application, like BOMArchiveHelper.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

.bin files are video too, to sort this click on the file and press command I, then in the open with pop up choose DiskImageMounter for the .dmg and BOMArchiveHelper for the .bin and press Change All, and you'll be sorted :).

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought .bin files were typically opened with StuffIt? I didn't know that BOMArchiverHelper could open them!

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sorry I haven't been clear at all :eek:, .bin files are an old Mac "zip" format, which Stuffit opens, they are also one of the more obscure video formats.

In this case it seems the OP has an archive, but they could be either.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Actually I swear by The UnArchiver. Beats 'em all.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Agreed there, iBlue. The Unarchiver's awesome. :D
    The one file type I've encountered that it can't unarchive is the SITX format - you need Stuffit Expander for that.

10. bleufire thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

AWESOME!!! Thanks guys! I thought i broke! hehe... I knew it wouldn't be true cause it is a :apple: !:D :D