How to open emails as read on Mail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sepandee, Apr 12, 2012.

1. sepandee macrumors regular

I have a hotmail account that I check through the website when I'm not home. When I'm home I use Mail.app. The problem is that when I read an email on Mail.app, it won't show as read on hotmail's website. If I also delete it on Mail, it won't delete it on hotmail's website (but I think I figured out the delete problem).

Is there a way to make Mail.app mark emails that have been opened as read on Hotmail's own server?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use an IMAP account... sounds like your account is currently set up as POP.

3. sepandee thread starter macrumors regular

How do I do that? There's not really an option to set it up any differently on Mail. You just add your username, password, and name, and click next and that's it.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

So, if you don't enter your password, it will complain a bit, but then click continue again and it will give you more options. You can then choose an imap account, and choose "m.hotmail.com" for the mail server.

Good luck!

5. sepandee thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, mine doesn't complain! Even without the password, it checks the login information, logs in, and then goes to the next page where it gives you a summary and says create. I guess it's saved the password somewhere??

6. sepandee thread starter macrumors regular

Keychain. Figured that part out. But it doesn't work. When I go to the incoming mail server page, i choose IMAP and give m.hotmail.com for incoming server, but when i hit next it tries to connect but ultimately gives me an error.

7. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I guess I got the server name wrong. I got that from one of the top hits in a google search. Do a google search of 'hotmail imap' and hopefully you will find the answer.

8. sepandee thread starter macrumors regular

It looks like it only has IMAP for iOS, not OS X. :(

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

9. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Well, if that's the case, you could dump hotmail for gmail or iCloud. I'm sure there are plenty of other choices out there.