how to open enclosing folder in new window?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by abolishadverbs, Oct 23, 2013.

1. abolishadverbs macrumors newbie

I just updated my 2009 Macbook Pro to Mavericks yesterday. Everything is going well so far, except for some reason, I can no longer use command+↑ to open the parent folder in a new window. On Lion it worked fine. Now, it simply goes to the parent folder in the same window.

Does anyone know how to change that? I went into preferences and de-selected "open new folders in tabs," but that didn't change anything. It's quite annoying as now I have to manually go in and open each folder; I often drag documents from folder to folder and it's much easier to just command+↑ and drag to the parent folder than double clicking each time to open them separately.

Any ideas? am I missing something obvious?

2. mortfe macrumors regular

No, they changed open in new windows to open in tabs. Mavericks sucks. It's a Windows Vista OS. Had to reinstall twice already. Couldn't find keyboard and T/M backup produced 40gb in 12.5 hours. Hopefully somebody will figure out a tweak.

3. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

I have the file path at the bottom of the finder window switched on & routinely would right click to select 'Open Enclosing Folder' but now it has 'Show Enclosing Folder' instead which is a symptom of the same problem that the OP reports.

Why have they changed this behaviour? (apparently without telling us)

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I must be miss reading your problem because on my 10.9.1 install, if I right+click on any folder in Finder, the very first item in the context-menu is "Open in a New Window".
    I find this even quicker then the keyboard 'cmd+↑' because my hand does not have to leave the mouse, trackpad etc.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Try Ctrl + Cmd + ↑

6. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that solution.

It still doesn't solve the problem that I always have View Path Bar enabled for Finder windows & when I right click on a folder in Path Bar it gives me 'Show Enclosing Folder' & not 'Open Enclosing Folder' as it used to. I have tried various combinations of CMD CTRL & right click without success.

7. mooncaine macrumors regular

The winner! Thanks for that. Really will speed up my work with the new Mac.

----------

On my Yosemite Mac, I'm seeing a slightly different choice: Show in Enclosing Folder. That means the same thing, functionally, as Open Enclosing Folder, because that's what happens.

What's really annoying to me about recent Finder changes is that it's impossible to deselect a Finder item. Hitting Esc key no longer deselects. Whenever any Finder window is open, something is selected. That forces me to reach for the mouse, for no good reason.