How to open FCP video files on ext. HD on a PC?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DonJMa, Dec 31, 2009.

1. DonJMa macrumors newbie

Have about 500 gb of Final cut pro files the capture scratch on external HD.
    Can a PC open them? What software would work. Quicktime - free download would not recognize the files.
    Any leads?

Also in the future how could I make my FCP files cross platform?
    Thank you

2. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

FCP is not cross platform. The only way I know of to open up the edit would to create an EDL and import that in. But it might go wonky depending on what software you bring it into. Otherwise, you'll have to finish your edit in FCP, then export it to a cross platform codec. Probably animation... but AE excepts Apple Prorez codecs so look at that.

Apple is not making FCP cross platform friendly because they want users to buy their equipment to run their software.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Just install FCP on the pc :p

But seriously what do you mean by FCP files. The files which end with .fcp , like myvideo.fcp. Or do you mean the video's. (cause you are talking about the scratch disk). I believe the video's are just .mov files. When you can't open these with quicktime on a windows pc, quicktime probably doesn't have the right codecs.

So what are the files, movie files/fcp files. And when it are movie files, which codec did you use to capture them?

4. DonJMa thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for responding

The final cut pro files are .mov
    Do not what codec, how would I?
    Have FCP 6 running on a Powerbook g4 17" 1.33
    I have not upgraded quicktime for awhile as in the past quicktime upgrades interfere with older versions of FCP
    Quicktime on the PC was a recent free download - so I imagine from what you are implying that could be a problem
    any remedies that you know of
    Thanks again