Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I had to wipe and replace my hd and the iMovie library file (I think) I'd forgotten to back up. I have a bunch of iMovie projects that were created with iMovie 9 but no longer have iMovie 9, only have iMovie 10 now, which doesn't recognize the files - they are greyed out when I try to select them in iMovie.

Anybody know how/if I can open them in iMovie 10?

thanks!

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Firstly, have you got the movie clips anywhere? on your main h/d.? If you got the main files on your h/d you should be able to access them. But if you erased you data and iMovie 9 then.......

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Right. Uh oh. I don't know if the clips are here or not. I just have a folder with iMovie Project in it, a folder I created apparently. The files are iMovie projects and vary in size from6 megs to 147, which is about right for the length of the various projects. Do you know if the clips are contained in th project files themselves?

When I try and open them with iMovie 10 it says it 'cant' open that type of file..._ I'm hoping it just doesn't recognize the old file type, from iMovie 9?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
This is a possible suggestion. May or may not work. Open iMovie and under File, go to Update Projects and Events, click on it. Only thing I can possibly think of trying. If that does not work, I do not know what else to try unless you have a complete backup of all the old files, both events & projects. Like daybreak stated, if you erased or did not backup the data, you may be out of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.