How to open mkv file on a mbp?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iamvincent, Feb 21, 2010.

1. iamvincent macrumors member

I can open the file with VLC, but no sound.... And a window pops out saying no sound but no solution found.... Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance

2. nigameash macrumors 6502

i think vlc automatically fixes files with errors in them. are u sure the file is playable? try downloading perian and then play mkv files using quicktime.

3. mmulin macrumors 6502

VLC is not the problem but the audio codec encapsulated within the MKV might not be supported - MKV like MOV, AVI, etc are just containers. You can use VLC or the QT Perian plugin to play most MKV containers. However, if it contains a codec neither of them can read, you are out of luck. Other options you can try, but I don't know the extend of MKV support, are FFMpeg and MPlayer. They might have the right codec with them.

Another option is to extract the Audio to a file and try to convert it with a suitable converter in a Windows environment perhaps, if there is nothing available from above mentioned applications. Then re-insert the product into the container.

Seriously, it sucks if people use "fancy" codecs instead of your standard variety.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

use handbrake to re-encode it lol.. or find the correct codec to open it with.

5. mmulin macrumors 6502

Right, forgot about HB ;)

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its the only tool you ever need :p

too bad it doesnt have a pass-thru video option (or a lossless conversion for video option).