How To Open Numbers Docs Without Having iWork

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rebecca0630, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Rebecca0630 macrumors newbie

I received an email from work containing an attachment that is in numbers format (.numbers), however, I don't have iWork on my Mac. I need to be able to view this document. Is there any way I can view it without having iWork?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not sure, but I think OpenOffice or NeoOffice might open them (both free)
    Worth a try

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you only need to view the attachement, email your colleague and ask for it to be sent in either a PDF file format, on an Excel document (if you have it installed).

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

If you are in a real hurry, there is a 30 day trial version of iWork.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

I have NeoOffice 3.1.2, and it won't open a Numbers document - at least not automatically. NeoOffice presents all the formats it knows how to open, and asks you to pick one. There are a lot of formats, and Numbers doesn't appear on the list (far as I can see)... so my advice is don't bother with NeoOffice at this time.

Try the iWork trial. You can then "Share" it to an Excel format so you can continue to work with your preferred application. Just to save you time re-posting..... When you have your document open in Numbers, don't do a "Save As" to get an Excel format, you "Share" it.... it's pretty straightforward from there.