How to open Numbers file on old Macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by qualo, Jul 3, 2012.

1. qualo macrumors newbie

I have borrowed an old Macbook and cannot open Numbers files on it. I have tried downloading Open Office but that will not open them. Is there anything you can think of which might help?
    The Macbook is pretty old (10.5.8) and I've read it is not always good idea to update it so that I can download Numbers. Also this is just for 2 weeks while away so I just need to be able to open these spreadsheets for now. Even if I could just see them as 'view only' it would be enough.
    Thanks.

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

You could email the Numbers spreadsheet as PDF or Excel format to the MacBook.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Are these Numbers files that were created at some point, maybe with an expired trial, on this computer? Or are they being downloaded as email attachments, or from a URL on the internet?

In regards to viewing the file, I think Mac OS X 10.5 has Quick Look, can you select the file(s) in Finder and press the space bar?

4. qualo thread starter macrumors newbie

Jedi- thank you very much. The quick view thing works.

The files are from Numbers on my iMac, I am opening them from Dropbox. The view only thing is good enough for now and obviously next time I'll save them as excel files or whatever.