How to open port forwarding on Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Julien, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I have a Linksys and just switched to using an Airport Express for the wireless network. In order to use Desktop Connection (VNC) on my iPad I need to open the ports 5900 (Mac Pro) and 3389 (PC). In 1st pic is my Linksys setup that did this. In the 2nd, is this where I enter the ports (under Host or Tunnel) and what syntax for Address and Length? Or if this is the wrong place how do I do it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WeeShoo macrumors regular

Hmmm. In the image on the top, have you selected Port Mapping?

3. Julien thread starter macrumors G4

Julien

The top image is my Linksys wireless that works as shown and I'm replacing with an AirPort Express. How do I configure the AirPort Express (map the ports) so it works way the Linksys wireless does? I can't find a way to map the ports in AirPort Utility.

4. Julien thread starter macrumors G4

Julien

Is this possibly a limitation of the Express and only available on the Extreme? I have searched and searched with limited results.

5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I don't have an Express, I have an Extreme. However, all the port forwarding options are under the "Internet" tab and they only show up if you select the "Share a public IP address" option. Once in here, you click on the "NAT" tab, then the "Configure Port Mappings" button. Take a look at this.

The screenshot you posted is for IPv6 stuff, which is definitely not what you want.

6. Julien thread starter macrumors G4

Julien

Thanks, I have since figured that out but I'm having another problem.

When I try to switch from Off (Bridge Mode) to Share a Public IP Address then hit Update I get the 2 DHCP (beginning and end) error messages. It looks like AirPort Utility wants me to manually change these numbers. What would I need to change them to or how do I find the correct values? They are now:

DHCP Beginning Address 192.168.1.2
    DHCP Ending Address 192.168.1.20

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Celeron macrumors 6502a

If your Express is already in bridged mode it doesn't need to do any port forwarding. Port forwarding only needs to be enabled on the device connected to your cable / DSL modem.

8. Julien thread starter macrumors G4

Julien

It is connected to my modem. Without port forwarding how do I use my iPad's Desktop Connect (VNC):confused:

9. Julien thread starter macrumors G4

Julien

I believe my problems relate to having to use the Linksys as the Internet connection. The AirPort and Linksys seem to be fighting or conflicting over who's in charge of what. I must have wired as well as wireless so I guess I can't just use the AirPort Express by itself. Tried connecting my cable modem to my ethernet 1000mb 6 way switch but it doesn't work (all the LED's start blinking super fast and no internet at any computer). I guess the raw internet signal sent over ethernet from the cable modem must be decoded/incoded or whatever to be sent over ethernet to each computer. Looks like I will have to get an Extreme to have both wireless and 1000mb wired.

Does this sound correct or at least plausible?

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

Why not use the Linksys to do DHCP/Port Forwarding and set the Express in Bridge Mode?