how to open stacks in slow motion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, Dec 2, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

im not sure if you guys remember in the WWDC07, jobs opened and closed the stacks in slow motion to show everyone how cool it is, i thought he had this different copy of leopard that can do that, today, i accidentally pressed on shift while click on a stack, the stack opened in slow motion, try it

hold down shift while clicking a stack, then let go of the shift, its really cool, i thought it was worth posting about

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

hold down shift and open it the same normal way.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Same as other effects (exposé, dashboard coming in etc.) in OSX...

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

read the post, not just the title.

BTW shift works on all sorts of things such as dashboard and expose.

5. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

really? i didnt know that, well, i thought it was a first discovery, i think its cool, right now im minimizing safari in slow motion using the genie effect:rolleyes:

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There is a very useless but kind of cool thing you can do with that.
    If you get a terminal window open with the phrase "killall Dock" without quotes but don't press enter. Then press the minimise button with shift held down. As it minises quickly switch to the terminal window and press enter. You will end up with a fully scrollable + working window that is stuck in the genie minimise effect. I am currently writing this post from the window below.
    Picture 5.png
    And if you don't believe it is scrollable i will scroll it down and take another shot.
    Picture 7.png

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

duplicate post.

It can be hard to correctly hit buttons though, as they aren't where the display (case in point this duplicate post) and it does get very annoying after a little while but still quite cool.

8. Mernak macrumors 6502

That is awesome, I have knew that before. Another random thing on that is that if you restart the dock and minimize the oddly shaped window, it will stay that shape in the dock (but, alas, when you click it it goes back to normal)

9. ///alpinepower macrumors member

are stacks all that special? i have my dock on the side, so i don't get to use them. :(

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

yeah you do, you just don't get the fan view because it would look like a penis.

11. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

i have my dock on the side, stacks work either way, they just HAVE to open in a grid when the dock is on the side, stacks are cool, i have an iwork, iLife, documents, and downloads stack, very useful

12. theman macrumors 6502a

dude, you just won the award for making me laugh for the first time today. lol.

13. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

same here

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

But you see what I mean though. :D

Imagine when they first put it in and they were probably all in awe about how good it looked. Then someone came in from outside the stacks dev team and just started laughing as it took form.

I sort of thought that might have been edited out but it made it through the profanity filter.