How to open Windows exec. files on Imac!? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jamesmlewis, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Jamesmlewis macrumors newbie

Hello everyone new to the forums here I hope someone can help me out. OK so I recently bought an IMac for my dads birthday and he previously had an old slow windows desktop hence the upgrade. The only problem I'm running into with the switch is opening some windows file I transported via USB. My dad would use microsoft excel and word to make important spreadsheets and files for his business. I'm trying to open them up somehow so he can view them on his new IMac but a message saying "no application available to open up" keeps appearing. So is there anyway I can open these windows documents up on my dads new iMac? If so how? I Appreciate any help or response thank you.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You would need to install Microsoft Office for Mac in order to open Excel and Word documents in OS X. Microsoft is offering a free preview/beta version of a version of Office that will look and feel like its Windows 2013 counterpart.

https://products.office.com/en-us/mac/mac-preview

Once the software is released, though, you would need to buy a license for it, or an Office 365 subscription. I would recommend the latter because in addition to always having access to the latest version of Office, you get 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage.