How to Open Windows Programs on Mac Dock via Boot Camp and VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by schwine1, Feb 21, 2012.

1. schwine1 macrumors regular

Existing Setup: Snow Leopard, Windows 7, VMware Fusion 4, Boot Camp 3.0.4

I have a software program on Windows that I would like to open directly from the Mac Dock via Boot Camp.

This direct link feature is an option that was officially made available in VMF4, but I haven't been able to figure out how to set this up.

Thanks for any tips on how to do this.

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you want to start that application in Windows via Boot Camp (restarting the Mac) or in VMWare Fusion?

3. schwine1 thread starter macrumors regular

I would like to start the application in VMware Fusion.

4. simsaladimbamba

Start the Windows VM, then the application, then in Mac OS X go to View > Unity and the application appears in the Dock, either right-click on that and select Options > Keep in Dock or drag the icon to another place in the Dock.
    Now clicking the application's icon will start the VM and the application.
    Btw, I usually SUSPEND and not SHUT DOWN my VMs.

Was that understandable?

5. schwine1, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

schwine1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, simsaladimbamba.
    I have now placed the Windows 7 programs that I wanted to on the Mac Dock.

Here's one follow-up question.
    You mentioned that you suspend VMware Fusion instead of shutting it down after each use.

I clicked onto the double sided arrow at the top of the computer when VMware Fusion is turned on (this may be referred to as the Boot Camp taskbar), and I noticed that I have three options in the bottom left corner of this window: suspend, restart and shutdown. But the "suspend" option is greyed out and thus not usable. Only restart and shutdown are currently selectable.

In the past, I have only used the shutdown option, I've never even considered using the "suspend" option. What are the benefits of using the "suspend" option, and how can I make this a selectable option in my case. Also, if you turned off your Mac computer when Windows is in the "suspend" option, wouldn't this adversely affect Windows, VMware Fusion and/or Boot Camp?

Many thanks.

6. schwine1, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

schwine1 thread starter macrumors regular