how to open xlsx file in macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rahul29tech, Jan 16, 2012.

1. rahul29tech macrumors member

is it any special MS-Office for mac to download if it so plz tell me free download link for that,

or plz tell me that how can i open xlsx file in my macbook????

2. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Its an Excel file, so will need Excel to open it unless there are free office apps availiable that can do so. I don't know about that as i bought Office for Mac.

There is no free link to Office, you will have to pay for it if you can't find a compatible program as above.

Also, you posted in the iPhone section.

3. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

This is Microsoft Excel 2007 or LATER format. You have two main options: Ask the source of the Excel file to save it as Microsoft Excel 97-2003 format, which is .xls, or you can download Microsoft Excel Viewer from Microsoft.

Alternatively, another option is to download OpenOffice for Mac. That should allow you to view it.

You can also e-mail it to yourself if you have a Google Mail (GMail) account, and view it in a browser. This will render and open using the Google Documents viewer.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not special, just a newer excel spreadsheet.

5. jacob11 macrumors member

You can use Apple iWork, which is specifically designed for Mac user, in order to use MS Office on your Mac. As iWork Numbers will help Mac users to deal with XLSX files without having any difficulties.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If the spreadsheet has macros, then Numbers cannot execute the macros. However, it is likely that OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice, or NeoOffice will handle the spreadsheet without issue even if it has macros. Unlike Numbers, each of these OpenOffice.org implementations is free.

7. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

In Lion Preview can open view them, but not edit them, but I guess that isn't much help.