how to optimize OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hehe299792458, Nov 15, 2009.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

With windows, I disabled services, uninstalled windows components, did a few registry hacks, etc that made the system much faster. Compare to previous versions, 10.6 is pretty fast, but it still feels a bit bloated on my MBA. Is there a way to slim it down further? Thanks!:D

2. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

download monolingual and delete the languages you don't need. maybe download something like Secrets for extra pref. pane options

3. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I already deleted language packs and printer drivers that I don't need. I kept Rosetta stone because Office 2008 still needs it. But that was all done during the installation.

Is there something I could do now that would improve the performance of my system? For instance, when I open activities monitor right after starting up, I see a bunch of processes I don't need - is there a way I could disable them?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's really not much you can do to alter/improve OSX. Its pretty much designed for hands off operation when it comes to this sort of stuff. Mucking around can do more damage then good. If you're system is sluggish, look at the page-outs and VM size. Perhaps you need more ram. If that' not the case, then perhaps a faster system is in order

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

How do you know they are not necessary?

6. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

I have been trying to kill kernel_task so I can save 340MB of ram. :)

7. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

haha. Very funny.

But seriously, for things like "Airport Basestation Agent", I'm pretty sure I don't need it.

Oh, and I can't upgrade my RAM because apply kindly soldered it on.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Which system do you have that you can't add RAM to?

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

MacBook Air: Its in the OP.

10. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I thought Office 2008 didn't need Rosetta once the service packs and patches are applied?

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While his post was in jest, the point is you don't know what's needed and what's not and the interdependency of the various systems. You may not think you need airport basestation agent, but what happens if the system expects and becomes unstable or doing weird things. You're really not going to be saving a lot of ram by shutting down services, the risk vs. reward in this case is such that Its really not worth the effort.