How To: Optimum app over 3G (Using VPN on Windows 7)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Vinnymac567, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Vinnymac567, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

Vinnymac567 macrumors newbie

Make sure your iPhone/iPad is jailbroken and has iFile installed before you proceed.

I know that their is another thread for this subject. But the OP isn't updated very often, and a lot of the info keeps changing. I haven't found much information on getting this to work on Windows, so I was hoping to make it easier for others by posting this guide. I was able to get the optimum app working, using the latest methods, and while using Windows 7. If you would like to get it working on a Mac, please go here.

Setting up the VPN Server on Windows 7:

1. Windows Orb, type networking connections in the search bar and click Network Connections.
    [​IMG]

2. In Network Connections press Alt-F, and select New Incoming Connection.
    [​IMG]

3. Setup the New Incoming Connection with all the default options. Make sure that your account is selected on the User Accounts page so that your username/password will be accepted. When you’re finished a new connection should appear in Network Connections.
    [​IMG]

4. Right-Click "Incoming Connections", and select Properties.
    [​IMG]

5. Now select the Networking Tab. Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) (Make sure it is checked)
    [​IMG]

6. Select Properties. A new window will appear like the one below. Make the settings the same as this, however the information you enter in From: and To: may vary.
    *My router dishes out IPs starting at 192.168.1.100, so 181-185 is 5 connections, for you it might be different, check your routers starting IP address to figure this out.
    [​IMG]

Now your VPN Server should be ready to go, you can jump to the iPhone/iPad VPN settings if you already configured your router. Also if the guide wasn’t detailed enough, this guide should help.

Setting up a Router for VPN:

1. Access your routers configuration page (commonly 192.168.1.1) using your default gateway address and account. Linksys/netgear tend to be (admin/admin or admin/password). If you can’t figure out how to do this go to http://portforward.com/.
    2. Find an option called Port Range Forwarding (or Single Port Forwarding)
    3. Forward port 1723, on TCP, and port 47, on Both, to your local machines IP.
    4. Save the Settings, and exit.
    (you can download PFPortChecker (link http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm) to test that your ports are now open. Websites can also test to see if a port is open, your choice)

iPhone/iPad VPN:

1. Select Settings app.
    2. Select General > Network > VPN
    3. Create a New VPN Configuration like the one below.
    [​IMG]

4. Account/Password should be your windows account/pass, also Proxy is OFF. Then Save and test it out. If it doesn’t work, it can be a number of things. Your APN, your VPN settings, your router, or the VPN server, you will need to scrutinize all of these things to make sure they are working together properly. Knowing your ports are open is the most important in my opinion.

(I actually had a lot of trouble getting this to work, in the end I had to use the iPhone Configuration Utility found on apples website and then install a profile with my APN as wap.cingular, if others have this issue, I’ll explain more)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can get Optimum working either via VPN Patch or 3G Unrestrictor, I would rather use the 3G Unrestrictor but I will show you how to do both.

Installing 3G Unrestrictor:

1. Open up Cydia
    [​IMG]

2. Select the Search tab and type in 3G Unrestrictor.
    [​IMG]

3. Purchase and Install and Respring.
    4. Open up the 3G Unrestrictor app on your Springboard.
    [​IMG]

5. Edit, then +, then search for Optimum and add it.
    [​IMG]

Installing VPN Patch:

1. Download Hantek's VPN Patch
    2. Either transfer it to your iphone, or download it using Safari (download manager).
    3. Using iFile execute the .deb file.

How-To Rename Cydia (in harmony with Optimum):

1. Locate Cydia.app (and rename it, if you haven't done so already).
    [​IMG]

2. Locate Info.plist and Rename the following properties:
    a. CFBundleExecutable: Cydia2​
    b. CFBundleIdentifier: com.saurik.Cydia2​
    c. CFBundleName: Cydia2​
    [​IMG]

3. Finally rename the file Cydia to Cydia2 (you can find it in Cydia.app)
    [​IMG]

Now Cydia + Optimum should work in harmony!

Sources:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1132519
    http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/setup-vpn-pptp-host-on-home-windows-7/

Many Thanks to:
    Coleman2010, bbduff, Hantek, and many others.

If I am missing something, or you have a recommendation please let me know!

2. nattienat7 macrumors newbie

3. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

What do you mean "free VPN service?" Do you mean VPN server software to run on your Mac?

4. nattienat7, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

nattienat7 macrumors newbie

I haven't been able to stream Tv via vpn for the past 2 days, any ideas? My vpn connection is fine because I am able to access safari. I don't get an error from the optimum app at all it just seems like its loading but it never actually streams.

UPDATE:
    I set up my VPN server on my computer from scratch again and it all started working again.Streaming once again

5. Vinnymac567 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I don't know a lot about your setup to say what is the exact cause. It could be your router, maybe something is stopping the flow, so that is why safari works, but optimum doesn't.

Another more likely scenario, is based upon how you got it working. Are you using the VPN Patch or 3G Unrestrictor? Maybe one of them isn't working properly for you. Because Optimum naturally uses WiFi. If you're already using WiFi, then I guess it has to be VPN/Router settings.

If you could provide more information about your setup, maybe we can solve your problem :)

6. ekolimits macrumors newbie

hey there, I have an internet problem with your tutorial

I created the vpn server just as you said. I forwarded the two ports properly and everything but my iphone says i have no internet connection. the RAS (Dial in) interface says i am not connected to the internet on my windows 7 pc. how do i share internet access from my wireless connection to the vpn server?

7. Vinnymac567, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

Vinnymac567 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have the option "Allow others to make private connections to my computer by tunneling through the internet or other network" checked off? it is in the properties of "Incoming Connections".

So are you able to use your VPN to do other things? Update your apps, safari, check mail, update cydia, etc??

Also, did you check off Through the Internet when making the VPN?
    Like this.

@markmith, I am not sure what you mean, there are VPN "services", but what we are doing in this guide is setting up a VPN server. That is completely free. On both Mac and PC, you can setup a VPN for free, and all you would need is an Internet connection and a compatible router.

8. ekolimits macrumors newbie

where is this option?: "Allow others to make private connections to my computer by tunneling through the internet or other network"
    you hit the nail right on the head but i do not know where this option is in windows 7. my phone does not want to go anywhere on safari or any other app.
    and i did have "through the internet" checked off
    thanks for your reply!

9. RRoD420 macrumors newbie

Nice tutorial, I posted the same info on another forum but didn't include nice screenshots. This works great, but my issue is I have to connect to VPN then disconnect then reconnect EVERY TIME in order to get internet access over VPN. Sometimes internet access still won't come on, at that point I reboot my PC at home and do my connect to VPN, disconnect, reconnect. Then I can get it to work every time. Any idea why this is happening? Anyone else experiencing this? If you can't get internet access at all, try my steps.

10. grethatbrat macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thank you for the great tutorial! Just to add on, I used no-ip.com so that I can use a domain name in place of an IP address that changes. Pretty straight forward and free. :)