Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
I am an architect and I need to organise my partitions and software so that I have a good workflow.I use Bootcamp to run windows 7.This is the software I need to run:
-Adobe CS5
-Autocad
-3ds Max ( windows only)
-Revit Architecture ( windows only)
-Sketchup

I hate windows, but there is no mac version of 3ds Max or Revit. I understand that I have to logout and also transfer files in order to swap and work in both partitions. I love the Mac interface, especially with the Adobe CS5.

I have come up with two ways of arranging my workspace.
1.To run everything on windows, therefore create a large windows partition and leave a smaller one for mac (for personal use)

2.To make equal partitions and run only Adobe CS5 on the mac. Therefore, do the "heavy work"(max, revit) on windows and work the presentation/printing on the mac partition.

What would you guys suggest?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I would suggest a variant of #2 with a twist.

I understand that I have to logout and also transfer files in order to swap and work in both partitions.

Add in a simple NAS device to store your files on so they are shared automatically. Just as if you had a separate Mac and PC.

Also, get VMWare or Parallels and use that to run your Boot Camp partition for times that you may not need 100% performance.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.