How to organize all my movies

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Germwise, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Germwise macrumors regular

A few years ago I decided to put all my DVD's in storage and rip them in divx/h264 format to an external HD that I plugged into my PS3 for easy access.

The problem is that when my GF and I want to watch a movie, I have to explain each movie and we choose one based on the title without access to the movie cover or any meta data.

I was wondering if there was a program akin to itunes that would go through my hard drive and (with some help with me) identify each movie and find the cover art etc.

I don't know how automatic this will be. I don't mind spending some time assisting the program but I don't want to go and do it by hand.

Help me make my mac more useful!

If you find a windows software I can run it on virtualbox as well.

thanks for the help and I'm loving my mac.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you don't mind doing it by hand (although you said you don't want to :p), a good method would be put each movie in its own folder with the video file, a text document of the movie description, and an image of the cover.

3. Germwise thread starter macrumors regular

I have something close to 600 movies.

I guess I might do it by hand but how do I associate the image of the cover with the file itself so it shows up on my PS3 folders?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just take your time; personally I'm considering doing that as well, but I have 4TBs worth of them.

Sorry I wouldn't know about that. Good luck.

5. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

xbox 360 generates thumbnails for the movies but not from any meta data.

I think it will basically be impossible to do on the ps3

6. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I think iTunes can play movies. It should be under the "library" section in a folder labeled "Movies". Try importing them into there and see what happens.:)

7. Messenger macrumors newbie

My dear friend, read well because I choose my words carefully:

Plex.

Organize your movies and tvshows as such:

Media\Movies\Fight Club (1999).xxx
    Media\TV Shows\Entourage\Season 1\S01E01.xxx

The naming of the folders is no issue, the names of your files is. It should be Movie Title (Year).xxx, go to IMDb for the years. Your tv shows should be S01E01.xxx, putting it in a separate season folder makes no difference, but I do it anyway for ease of managing.

Once you've downloaded Plex (plexapp.com), installed and opened it go to Help and watch the movies.

Enjoy!

8. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

+1 for plex. after using plex you will want to invest in a mini as a media server. :D

9. MacNik macrumors newbie

I have a huge collection of more than 1000 films. I prefer to use Movienizer for PC and Delicious Library for Mac. Good apps ;)