how to organize files on Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by giulianoaugusto, Oct 6, 2010.

1. giulianoaugusto macrumors member

Hey guys..
    here's the deal...I've been a long time windows user and just last week got my first mac! (macbook pro core i5) and so far I'm loving everything about it.
    Altought I do have some vices I brought with me from windows and I wanted to see if you guys could help me out.
    On windows I was used to arranging my files automatically by name, and windows would organize it first the folders and then the files itself...all by name.
    On mac, I do know how to arrange my files by name, but for example, on my documents folder I have a mix of files (txt,docx,ppt) and folders...
    I wanted the folders appearing first (by name) and then the files (also by name)
    Can I do that?
    I know it's annoying but I just wanted to clear that up.

thanks a lot

2. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

There's an app called TotalFinder that has a setting to do just that.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't need additional software. Within the Finder, check the View/View Options menu item or press [cmd]+[j].

Advice. Don't try to convert your Mac into Windows. Learn the simple elegance of your new platform.

4. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

Where in the View Options window can you set it to put folders on top? What checkbox is that?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can't, by selecting view by kind, it sorts them by the kind of file, but that doesn't put the folders at the top like windows.

If you use Path Finder (A finder replacement/file explorer), it gives you more options and that generally does put the folders on the top.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Or you can trick it with the old space in front of the name gambit.

7. giulianoaugusto thread starter macrumors member

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Messing with the Finder.app's lproj file is not for the faint of hear and as the warnings issued break OS X's code signing for the Finder.

9. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

True... but i check from time-to-time, and even Apple ships some stuff that doesn't pass codesign -vvv

E.g., right now both iTunes 10.0.1 and AirPort Utility 5.5.1 fail -- and i'm quite surprised to see that Safari 5.0.2 actually doesn't fail. (i often check that one, and usually only the Safari version that comes pre-installed with the OS passes).

Anyway... I doubt if stuff like Keychain or Parental Controls bother checking any of Finder's components for valid signatures, before allowing a user (or other program) to "run" it.