How To Organize IMAP Folders with Mail/iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ubercool, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I've noticed that there's little easy-to-find information on how to properly manage IMAP mail folders. Since I'm suddenly experiencing a lot of weird issues, like Mail suddenly storing sent e-mails in an unexpected folder, plus duplicate, confusingly named folders, etc., I thought I would create a master "How To Organize IMAP Folders with Mail/iPhone" thread, which I'm sure will be very useful for the legions of Mail and iPhone users.

But first I have to show you my folder structure. I have four e-mail accounts that I have all set up under IMAP. Three are work-related and one is my MobileMe account, which I use to synchronize my calender and contacts.

Inbox
    --MobileMe Account
    --Work 1
    --Work 2
    --Work 3
    Sent
    --MobileMe Account
    --Work 1
    --Work 2
    --Work 3
    Trash
    --MobileMe Account
    --Work 1
    --Work 2
    --Work 3
    Junk
    --MobileMe Account
    --Work 1
    --Work 2
    --Work 3

On My Mac
    ~Sent Items (my PC e-mail pre-dating using Mail)
    --Admin
    ~to
    --Sales etc. (these folders are used to locally archive mail)

Ubercool (IMAP server folders)
    --Apple Mail To Do
    --Deleted Messages
    --Drafts
    --Drafts (Ubercool)
    --Read
    --Sent
    --Sent Messages
    --Spam
    --Trash

MobileMe (IMAP server folders)
    --Drafts

The first problem I noticed is that suddenly, Mail started storing sent messages in the "Sent Messages" folder on the Ubercool server, but just as suddenly stopped. How do I prevent this from happening? Can I just move messages in the "Sent Messages" folder back to the main "Sent" folder?

I assume this has something to do with the way the iPhone interacts with Mail and the way everything is synchronized, which brings up a separate problem of multiple Calendars showing on my iPhone:

iPhone Default Calendar Setting
    On My iPhone
    Calendar

address@mac.com (MobileMe)
    Calendar (set as default)

Can you post your tips on how to properly manage IMAP folders here and what your tactics are for properly synching your calendar? I would like to unify sent e-mails and eliminate duplicate Drafts and Drafts (Ubercool) folders, while avoiding duplicate calendar entries. :eek:

2. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Here's my Quota Limits dialog box, which shows that Mail has stored most of my sent mail in "Sent Messages" but suddenly also put 276 e-mails in the "Sent" folder. :confused:

[​IMG]