How to Organize Movies?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jason2811, Dec 25, 2007.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Okay, I have a bunch of movie files, mostly torrents and what not that are in .avi and .wmv formats which I play in VLC or Flip4Mac. I want to start organizing these movie files and putting them into iTunes. What is the best way to do this though? I would like to be able to open either iTunes or FrontRow, click on the DVD cover and have the movie play in full screen. I know Front Row and iTunes don't work with .avi files so how can I remedy this? Would I have to convert them to some other file? Do I have to trick iTunes into putting them under the Movies category in iTunes? Do I trick Front Row? What is the best and easiest way to do what I want to do? I have all my files on an external hard drive, I hope that's not an issue. Thanks!

2. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

You are going to have to convert the files.. I had a program, but unfortunely I forget the name.. Wait, it's Handbrake..http://handbrake.m0k.org/

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

handbreak only encodes DVDs or video_ts folders. to encode them to an itunes friendly format use visualhub or ffmpegx and then just add them to your itunes library.

but a quicker way would be to make a reference file in quicktime (i think it has to be pro) and add this to your itunes library while your avis and wmvs are in your movies folder or whatever. this works for me when watching movies in itunes and front row but im not sure about syncing to ipod as i dont have a video capable ipod.

also front row works with avis if you install perian which is a third party quicktime component (codec). you can have your movies in the movies folder or in itunes and front row will be able to play them.

4. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Just install Perian and Flip4Mac for Quicktime. Create an alias(shortcut) of the external drive and place it in the movies folder. Now you can access all your videos on the external drive via front row.

For iTunes just drag the videos into iTunes. Shouldnt be any problem if perian and Flip4Mac are installed. Uncheck "Copy files to itunes folder" in itunes preferences if you dont want keep the files where they already are and dont want to copy it to itunes music folder.

But remember one thing, you wont be able to transfer these files to iPod/iPhone/Apple TV. To play these files in iPod you`d need to convert them to mp4.

5. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So to have the option of playing my files in iTunes or Front Row, I would have to:

1) Convert all my .avi movie files to .MP4? I can do this with Handbrake.

2) Create an alias of my external harddrive which has all my movies and place that alias in my Movies folder in Finder.

Questions?
    1) Will iTunes know the difference between a movie and TV shows automatically? Or do I have to trick it into doing this?

2) So there is no way to play .avi files in iTunes or Front Row without converting them to .MP4?

3) Is there an alternative application that I can use to house all my movies besides iTunes?

If anyone can show me or explain to me how they have their personal movie collections arranged in iTunes or any other application that would be great! Thanks.

6. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

1. change the movie type to tv show in the get info window

2. you can if you install perian and follow the advice in the second paragraph of my post above

3. frontrow