How to Organize photos with iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by littlegreenyoda, Sep 13, 2009.

1. littlegreenyoda macrumors member

Hi,

Been using mac :apple: for around 1 month but i'm still having some problems with iPhoto...

May I know how you guys usually organize your photos using iPhoto?

Creating a new album etc?

How do i hide photos that i do not wish my friends to see?

PS: How do i upload photos to Facebook individually instead of the whole album? And is it possible to increase the quality? seems like when i use iPhoto to upload photos to fb, the quality drops alot! :(

Thanks!

2. dino12 macrumors member

hide photo

If you right click on the photo that you want to hide there is an option to hide that photo

3. littlegreenyoda thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Will the hidden photos be published in facebook ?

Do you guys use Events or Create New Albums to sort your photos?

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I use a combination of Folders, albums and events to organize mine. As an example: Create a folder "Vacations", then create albums or smart albums for "San Francisco 2009", another for "New York 2008", etc. Then drag those albums into the Vacations folder! If you use keywords as you import, you can use smart albums to automatically put all photos of "Uncle Bill" into the right place.

Whatever you do, do NOT organize your photos in the library in finder! Stay out of there! iPhoto organizes photos "under the hood" so to speak so that it can find them when you want it to. If you do ANYTHING to/with your photos in the finder, you will render iPhoto from operating correctly. Do all your organizing, naming, etc. in the app itself!

As far as uploading to Facebook and the like -- chose your photos in iPhoto, click on Export (under the Edit menu, I believe -- not at the mac right now) and you will be prompted for the size you want. Export the photos to your desktop and then upload from there.

Good luck! And Welcome to the wonderful world of macs! :D