Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nstefi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
I am curious how other Mac users do this.
I came from a Windows world and bought a new MacBook Pro recently, but still couldn't figure out how to select my photos that I transferred from my iPhone and delete those that I don't want. On Windows I used a software called IrfanView, I could browse all photos from a folder in full screen and if I didn't like one, I just pressed Delete. Is there an app on Mac that I could use the same way? I saw that in Finder I can select multiple photos and press space, that opens up Quick Look, then I can press the left and right arrows to browse through them, but when I press Delete nothing happens, and if I press Command + Backspace, it deletes all of them. So frustrating.
I don't think I would want to use the Photos app, because that stores the pictures on the local drive of the Mac, which is not that big, so I always stored them on an external drive instead.
Anyone knows how I can quickly view photos and videos in a bigger size (showing the preview in finder on the right is kind of small), and easily delete some while navigating to next pictures?

nstefi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
I am curious how other Mac users do this.
I came from a Windows world and bought a new MacBook Pro recently, but still couldn't figure out how to select my photos that I transferred from my iPhone and delete those that I don't want. On Windows I used a software called IrfanView, I could browse all photos from a folder in full screen and if I didn't like one, I just pressed Delete. Is there an app on Mac that I could use the same way? I saw that in Finder I can select multiple photos and press space, that opens up Quick Look, then I can press the left and right arrows to browse through them, but when I press Delete nothing happens, and if I press Command + Backspace, it deletes all of them. So frustrating.
I don't think I would want to use the Photos app, because that stores the pictures on the local drive of the Mac, which is not that big, so I always stored them on an external drive instead.
Anyone knows how I can quickly view photos and videos in a bigger size (showing the preview in finder on the right is kind of small), and easily delete some while navigating to next pictures?
Sorry, I just realized when I am in Finder and don't select any photos, I can press space, it opens up in Quick Look, and I can navigate with arrow down, not arrow right to the next file, and Command + Backspace seems to work that way.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
Looks like you found a work around.

No IrfanView replacement. Some like AppoloOne (not free though).

Photos like iTunes and others can use an external for storage by creating a folder on the external w/ the same name as the one on the internal drive (generally in the user directory).
Then make an alias and copy same to the internal drive location. Then delete (if not empty copy contents first to the external) internal drive folder and remove the alias part of the new folder name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.