how to overclock macbook pro?

OS X Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
UK
While the C2D processor is immensely OC-able, the boards Apple use on them prohibit any kind of OC-age (correct me if I'm wrong plz)

It would also need to be done on Windows partition as Apple's EFI won't allow OC-ing, whereas BIOS will.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
I too want to find out how to do this, this is the easiest way to get a new mac when working with best buy warranty. Just burn the old one a and if you have had issues in the past and hopefully this will be your fourth problem, you get a new gen mac.

OS X Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I was of this impression also.
Knew I buy those PC Hardware and gamer mags and research most manufacturer's websites for info on their kit for a reason :p

However, the graphics card in the MBP is fully OC-able - and many people do, as it can run Crysis decently - in BIOS.

azhelkov

macrumors member
May 31, 2005
You can stop CPU throttle. In normal conditions speed is down to 800MHz on C2D. You may try CoolBook. Be prepare, it will be nasty hot. Before you pay $10 try run yes process on both cores and see if you like it there. Don't burn yourself :)

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Give your MB Pro some difficult task; try running BOINC

You'll use up loads of electricity, but you'll be saving the world by running it :D

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Reason 1: I want to void my warrantee.
Reason 2: I want to fry my chips and logic board.
Reason 3: I want to complain that I broke my computer once I've done this.
Those aren't legitimate reasons???

I too want to find out how to do this, this is the easiest way to get a new mac when working with best buy warranty. Just burn the old one a and if you have had issues in the past and hopefully this will be your fourth problem, you get a new gen mac.
My aren't we honest.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Side note: This is also known as fraud and you will go to jail for it. But hey, you might get a new computer!

poly.prince

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Side note: This is also known as fraud and you will go to jail for it. But hey, you might get a new computer!
Inmate 1: hey how did you end up here
Inmate 2: I robbed a bank
Inmate 3: I shot a cop
Inmate 4: I overclocked my macbook pro

the rest of the inmates: beating up inmate 4 :D

iSwaggrite

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Inmates

Inmate 1: hey how did you end up here
Inmate 2: I robbed a bank
Inmate 3: I shot a cop
Inmate 4: I overclocked my macbook pro

the rest of the inmates: beating up inmate 4 :D
LOL Funny!!!!! :D

How would they find out though if it's fried or can't boot up???:confused:

Technomann

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Can't anyone answer the question?

I'd really love to go from 2.4 Ghz to 2.7 Ghz on my MacBook. I'm fine with leaving the fans at 4000 RPM all the time.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Reason 1: I want to void my warrantee.
Reason 2: I want to fry my chips and logic board.
Reason 3: I want to complain that I broke my computer once I've done this.
OCing your computer is safe if you do it correctly. My PC workhorse at home is OCed from 2GHz to 2.6GHz on air cooling with minimal temperature differences. It's been like that for 4-5 years!