How To: Pages 3 (or even Pages 2) - Table of Figures

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GavinT, Aug 11, 2007.

1. GavinT macrumors member

In MS Word (well, my experience of it on Win machines at work), it's possible to add 'Captions' to pictures/diagrams etc etc. These Figures are then auto-indexed. Likewise, Tables can have their own Captions and again have their own numbered index.

So, as well as producing a main contents page in a document (based on the Headings of each chapter, sub chapter), I can also create a Figure List, and Table List.

I have iWork06 (hence Pages 2), and I never found a way of doing that. Looking at the iWork08 trial, and it seems Pages 3 doesn't have that functionality either :(
    Am I just missing something? I really would rather not use NeoOffice (I only use NeoOffice at the moment for Excel support).

In terms of work arounds... well, I can create a new 'Heading' Style called Caption, and just create some text below any diagrams. I can then easily add a Table of Contents, and tell it just to use that 'Caption' Style. However, the issue is the unique numbering. In Word, at a later date, you may insert a new section with new diagrams into the middle of the document. I don't want to be going through a whole document manually renumbering all the later diagrams. I want it to re-index for me.

2. willybNL macrumors 6502

I've tried something similar, but in the end I just to had type everything...
    In word it's even possible to choose how that 'cross-reference' displays itself.

Though this is not really a top-10 missing feature I guess, maybe it's good one to put on http://guides.macrumors.com/iWork_-_Pages_-_Wish_List too.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I haven't tried this exactly, but I think you're at least halfway home. If you defined your caption style as a numbered list, wouldn't that work?

4. GavinT thread starter macrumors member

:) Yeah, as you say, half way there. Shame the other half I can't do (the auto-indexing and generation of numbers) is that bit that causes the pain :rolleyes: :D

Ahh well, will just live with to be honest. To be honest, for work (where I would do this a lot), I use a WinPC anyway with Office. At home on the Mac, I wouldn't do that much (apart from one document for my pet project)... and Pages is a lot nicer to use than NeoOffice.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So you've tried my suggestion, and it doesn't work?

6. GavinT thread starter macrumors member

First time around, I misread your message...

Second time around I read your message and tried.

It sort of works. I still can't figure out how to make captions look like:

Figure 1: blah blah blah

Figure 2: blah blah dsdf

Numbered list as far as I can see forces the 'number' to be placed at the beginning (1. Figure blah blah blah)
    There isn't a way of positioning the number

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly