How to parition external HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vong, Jul 6, 2011.

1. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

hello, I currently have a 1 TB external HDD that i use to back up my macbook pro. tryin' to partition it to MS-DOS (FAT) for my little bro to use on his windows computer. i keep getting the error:

"Partition Failed

Partition Failed with the error:

Could not modify partition map because filesystem verification failed"

any help?

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I've gotten that before too, I'd also like to hear the answer!

4. simsaladimbamba

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

6. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

what i did to get rid of the error:

1) right clicked on everythin' and tried first aid
    2) first aid only worked for the partition for me (in this case my time machine back up)

i would use that guide but i have backups on this external and i do not want to lose it. i'll report back how it works lol

7. simsaladimbamba

You mean using "MBR" as partition map scheme? If the HDD is solely used with FAT32, exFAT or NTFS, one can use Windows to properly format the HDD.

8. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

i dont get what that means, i've been tryin' to partition 200GB for my little bro, the external uses 1TB all for my time machine, currently time machine is taking up only 400GB, so there is 600GB left over roughly. when I try to create it for 200GB for my little bro, it says "not enough space"???

9. simsaladimbamba

likely that the partition map scheme used is GUID, which Windows can't read. The problem is, that even though there appear to be 600GB free, the 400GB of data on the HDD are scattered around the whole HDD, thus there is no continuous space of 200GB to format.
    To get rid of that, you need to clone your 400GB of data onto another HDD and then reformat the HDD again, maybe even partitioning it already.
    But know, that TM doesn't work with MBR formatted HDDs: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1550

But as I just found out, Windows can read GUID (GPT) formatted HDDs, thus you should be fine.

Also know, that every HDD can fail, and it is always good to have two backups.
    I have two backups of my important data (mostly photos and video footage), thus I have three copies of each file on three different HDDs.