How to Partition your harddrive back to 1 partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wangsta, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Wangsta macrumors newbie

I had my hard drive partitioned into 2, where one was mac the other windows xp. I received this macbook as a gift from my sister so i wanted to reformat everything into mac. I popped in the Mac OS x install cd and just installed it. Now there is two hard drives and I am not able to re-partition it where i can bring it back to one again...I was suppose to delete windows first before re-formating my macbook...Can anyone please help me with this situation?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Try launching the program Boot Camp Assistant and see if that will let you remove the partition.

If it doesn't, you will have to use Disk Utility to manually remove the partition. Although this can delete the data and reclaim the space used, it won't remove the bootable section of the partition, and this could cause problems later on.

If you can't use Boot Camp Assistant, just reinstall Mac OSX. Make sure to launch Disk Utility while booted on the DVD to erase and reformat your drive before you install.

3. Wangsta thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the problem the Mac OS X Install CD 1 did not install Boot Camp Assistant, so i don't have that option. I looked up forums about it and finally came across apple support. They stated that you cannot install boot camp assistant if your hard-drive is already partitioned into 2.

4. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

When you go into the install process stop just before the process actually begins you go into disk utility and then select the drive where your installing it, presumably the internal drive. There's then a tab-called partition and choose the partition arrangement-just the one :)heh and hit the button then install as normal :)

PTP

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The program is built into OSX 10.5 (Leopard). It is there, I assure you.
    You misunderstood what the Apple support was telling you. You cannot ADD a partition with Boot Camp Assistant if you already have two. You are trying to REMOVE a boot camp partition, which it can do if there already is one.

Boot Camp Assistant is an application which sets up the internal hard drive for Boot Camp. Boot Camp is what runs windows.

6. Wangsta thread starter macrumors newbie

I followed these steps from Apple:
    Resolution

To reinstall the Boot Camp Assistant from the DVD set, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 1.
    2. Select Go to Folder and type:
    /Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/Packages
    3. Double-click BootCamp.pkg to reinstall the Boot Camp Assistant.

I do not see bootcamp.pkg....Is it because my Mac OS X Install version is 10.4.6???

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Yes, you are running Tiger. Tiger can't dual-boot into Windows (short of the boot camp beta).
    Do you not have Leopard install disks from the last person who had the MBP?

The only solution now is to reinstall Mac OSX after erasing your hard drive.

8. Wangsta thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I don't see any other CDs, I think it never came with it...I'm going to have to purchase one online...Thank you for the help

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Don't bother with Leopard as Snow Leopard is just around the corner.

Which model is your MBP and what specs does it have? :)apple: -> About this Mac -> More Info)

10. Wangsta thread starter macrumors newbie

It's Macbook 1,1
    Intel core duo
    1.83 Ghz