How to Partition ??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TimJim, Sep 21, 2007.

1. TimJim macrumors 6502a

How would i partition my HD so that i could have ~20gb that i could install another Mac OS onto. I know i can partition in Boot Camp but would i be able to install a Mac OS on that?

I also tried using Disk Utility but it just gives me this and it only alows me to click the options button:

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The additional partition created by Boot Camp would be unused space. You can use that.

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I had the same problem. Bacl up your data. Put in your mac os x discs. Don't press install, click on file-disk utility and partition then press continue on the installer and it'll ask you which drive you want to install os x onto.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's a little annoying when Boot Camp is a decent free live partitioner in this situation.

5. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah but if i partition in Boot Camp would that partition be Mac OS compatible? like would it be in the right format?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The partition that Boot Camp makes is unpartitioned, unused space.

7. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

To piggy back off of this, you would want to make the partition with Boot Camp, and then boot from your Tiger CD. Once it has loaded, go up to the menu bar into utilities, and select disk utility. From there, select the partition of free space, and click the erase tab, and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and name it. Let it do its thing, and then do a normal install, using the new disk as your destination disk.

8. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

if i do all this right is there any chance of something happening to both partitions with my 'real' OS X install on it.

i backed up but is there a chance of this happening?

9. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

No, everything should be ok. As long as you click on the right partition, and double check everything, you should be fine. Remember, you can be killed getting out of bed in the morning, but the chances of that are slim. The same applies here. I've partitioned the drive in my Macbook several times. Some with boot camp, some with Ubuntu, and some with Disk Utility on the install CD, and everything turned out fine each time.