How to password protect a flash drive for windows AND Mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ideal.dreams, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I have a Cruzer flash drive by Sandisk and I'm wondering if there is a way to password protect it so that if I use it on a Mac or PC it will prompt the user for a password before allowing access to the files on it.

I left my flash drive in a computer at school over the weekend and luckily I got it back, but just in case I lose it I don't want someone having access to all of my stuff.

I looked into SecureAccess by sandisk but it's Mac OR PC, you can't use them together. Plus it was more of a vault.

If anyone has any suggestions that'd be great. And also, I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this; the others didn't seem to fit.

Thanks guys.

2. DESNOS macrumors 6502

The easiest solution that comes to mind is a password-protected ZIP file. Keep your data in one of those and you're good to go. The issue is you'll have to re-zip an un-zip all your files as needed, but there really are not that many cross-platform ways to keep your files secure.

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

That wouldn't be bad if I didn't have to unzip and re-zip every time I wanted a edit/add/delete a file. I transfer data back and forth all day long so that's not the best option for me.

4. DESNOS macrumors 6502

My solution that I do actually use myself is to create my own network share at home and open it up to the internet. It's passworded, and would do everything you want it to, but it's a bit complicated to set up, and you have to have a router with a USB port, or a computer that you can leave on at all times for access to the drive. If you happen to have such a setup, then I can help you get it up and running.

5. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The flash drive is transferred between school and home, so the network share option wouldn't work for me.

6. DESNOS macrumors 6502

I connect to my network share over the internet. If all the computers have an internet connection, it would work fine. Plus, you couldn't forget your network share at school! :p

7. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

truecrypt with a good password.

I wouldn't trust a password protected zip. Crackers are too easy for the script kiddies to find.

8. DESNOS macrumors 6502

The issue is he's not going to want to install software on every computer he wants to access his files on. I would have suggested something similar otherwise.

9. ShinyDren macrumors member

ShinyDren

This option is not necessarily for regular users, but if you do not want someone accessing what is on your flash drive you could get one with hardware encryption. Cross platform and no additional software needed. They are expensive so it depends on your level of paranoia. ;)

Here is one: https://www.ironkey.com/basic

Other companies may have similar offerings that may or may not be as effective.

10. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

This is where truecrypt is great.

USB key has truecrypt portable apps for osx and windows installed and a truecrypt volume.
    He sticks the key in, runs truecrypt, et voila.

11. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

ShinyDren: that would be great but I already own the cruzer. I don't want to buy another flash drive, especially one for that price.

Steviem: so truecrypt will work cross-platform?

Sent from my iPad.